Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frank Ocean’s Album Is the Straw That Broke Universal Music’s Back

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Dan Rys, writing at Billboard, about how Frank Ocean’s latest release is causing all kinds of headaches over at Universal:

After an interminable wait (in music industry standards, at least), Ocean fulfilled his contractual obligations, sources tell Billboard, and increased his potential profit share from 14 percent to 70 percent of total revenues from Blond within a 24-hour period, seemingly pulling a fast one on the biggest music company in the world in the process. Def Jam and its parent Universal, stuck with an overshadowed visual album that isn’t for sale, and cut out of any revenue from the “proper” album that’s headed to the top of the charts on the strength of 225,000 to 250,000 equivalent album units earned in the week ending Aug. 25, were left with what amounts to a very long music video and without one of their marquee artists.

2. once again major labels have no clue how the future works

3. DearCory

Regular

Major props to Frank on this.
    Bingo. I think in the end big labels are just going to screw themselves over with this. Perhaps we'll see major artists (Taylor, Adele, Gaga, Kanye etc.) just forget the label and release how they want to release.

4. So Endless was basically thrown together to get him out of a contract? Well done.

CMilliken and Steeeve Perry like this.
  5. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Everything I hear about Frank makes me like him more. If he just used Endless to fulfill a contractual obligation, that makes it even better than what it already is (a beautiful work of art).

beachdude42 likes this.
  6. MattNCheeze

Trusted

Read some follow up articles that stated that Endless might not constitute as a true "album" via how its defined in the contract and if so Frank is open to legal action. Very similar to how album was so loosely defined in the ADTR contract that it couldn't be enforceable.

My biggest question out of all of this is whether or not Blonde was recorded secretly under UMG's nose or did they just assume it would be released via them? With all the buzz surrounding Alex G being on this record, most if not all indie publications would have had some kind of write up assuming this information was out to the public. Makes me think it was the former.

7. John Zafran

As If Everything Was Held In Place

this is dope

so maybe next time we dont gotta wait mad years?

8. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Glad he's getting paid for his work and all, but the way FO's camp handled this seems super shady

9. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Shady how? It isn't like he didn't provide anything to them at all, and this big corporate entity will do fine without the money from this one release. Is it a big release from a high profile artist? Yeah, but they will survive. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, though.

10. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Genius. Someone get A Day To Remember in touch with Frank, they clearly need some help concerning how to properly screw over your record label.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  11. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Shady mainly because it looks like on the surface that FO's camp made decisions to exploit the label rather than to just get out as quickly as possible. I don't think it's illegal by any means, and I don't really feel bad for UMG because, like you said, they're a huge company and they'll be fine without what's probably a drop in the bucket for them revenue-wise (and I bet they weren't easy to work with or anything). But, after reading the article, my reaction is less "oh that's awesome!" and more "wow the music industry sucks".

12. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

that's fair enough, on a surface level exploitation is not a commendable practice, but i also have zero problem with the exploitation of a major label / other corporation that is too big to fail. "the music industry sucks" is pretty much how i'd sum it up too

Carmensaopaulo likes this.