Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pitchfork’s Best 200 Songs of the 1970s

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

And it's about fuckin' time.

3. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Aside from super obvious choices like Led Zeppelin, Nina Simone, Jimi Hendrix etc, I was really happy to see Milton Nascimento and Caetano Veloso included. That decade was really important for Brazilian culture in a way samba could not express. Samba is celebration, it's joyful even if the lyrics are sad. The 70s, following the exile of so many important musicians, were not so joyful and I think Milton Nascimento, Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil and Raul Seixas captured those growing pains in Brazil very well.

This list also took me back to when I was into 70s punk. The Ramones, The Damned, The Germs, Black Flag -- I forgot about these songs.

Also did The Doors just get totally snubbed? I figured Riders on the Storm would've made the cut.

4. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

The Doors (though they're not my favs) were snubbed from the 60s song list and the 70s album list on P4k as well.

Had a cursory glance over this list and the biggest omission for mine is Tom Waits. How does Waits not get a single track out of 400 on the best songs of the 70s nor the best songs of the 80s lists? Many of his best songs -- Tom Traubert's Blues, Christmas Card to a Hooker in Minneapolis -- came out in the 70s. And he had two albums in the top 15 of P4k's best albums of the 80s list. But none of the 35-odd songs from those two albums were top-200-of-the-decade good?

Now that rant is over, what interests me most about these lists is what they tell us about modern music. When indie rock was massive earlier in the 2000s these lists were full of rock music. Now RnB and electronic pop is more popular you can see that reflected in most new lists coming out.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  5. Mr_Hox

God dammit, I was going to post this joke.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  6. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

I'll let you have the "Top 100 Kraut B-Sides of 1987" list whenever that one comes out.