Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tom Searle of Architects Passes Away

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Chuck!

Regular

Absolutely devastating.

3. TobiasSc

Life is a gift. Remember this.

Insane guitarist. May he rest in peace.

4. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Very upsetting. R.I.P. Tom.

5. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Absolutely brutal. 28 is unbelievably young. RIP

6. The latest Architects album already makes me cry. Now I won't be able to contain myself.

CMilliken likes this.
  7. GetUpAndrew

Constant horror and bone-deep dissatisfaction.

He was an incredibly talented musician and composer, the mastermind behind one of the best heavy bands out there. Rest in peace, Tom.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  8. joe.boy.fresh.

Trusted

Heartbreaking. Everyone's posts about him have brought tears to my eyes. I know what it's like to lose someone to cancer, so this feeling is unbearable. I will be spinning Architects all day. My thoughts go out to his family, friend, band mates and anyone who got to know him. R.I.P.

9. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

Posted this over in the Architects thread but I know some of you don't make it over there. Not a fan of double posting but this one hit me hard and I felt like I needed to share.

This is a tough one. I hear about musicians passing away all the time but nothing hit me as hard as this one. Architects are, and will likely always be, one of my absolute favorite heavy bands. I never met Tom, but I felt like I knew him just based on spending absurd amounts of time listening and re-listening to his music. Yesterday was a train-wreck as I tried listening though their records.

All I can say is rest in peace Tom, we will all miss you and what you contributed to not only the music scene but the world. Thoughts and prayers are with the Searle family, especially Dan.

"Momento Mori - Be Mindful of Death"

Turn this one up loud!

10. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Absolutely love this band - consistently one of the best in their genre. Such terrible news. Keeping his friends and family in my thoughts.

11. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Saddest news yesteray, and he was nearly my age as well, hope he finds peace.

12. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

This was the worst news to wake up to yesterday. I had no idea he was sick or that'd been missing shows over the past year, but my God is this sad. Reading his brother's tribute was tough. Whatever they decide to do, they'll have my full support. Rest in peace, Tom.

Schooner likes this.
  13. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

As someone who has battled cancer and defeated it, words cannot express my sympathy and sadness. My heart goes out to his band mates, family, friends and fans. He was a truly talented individual who left us way too early. I will be blasting ArchitectsUK in honor of him and the band.

JM95 and mattylikesfilms like this.
  14. jorbjorb

7 rings

Too young. I love their new record. Will be spinning this today. RIP.

15. CMilliken

Trusted

Their new album is fantastic! He'll be missed. RIP Tom.

16. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

rest in peace

17. alexbrew

Just here for the comments

Absolutely awful

18. MikeC18

Damn this sucks. They're one of my favorite bands.

19. oneeightytwo

Regular

Thoughts go out to family, band mates, friends. Even at 28, he has left a huge impact on music. Thanks for everything.

RIP.

20. goosetoph

u wut m8?

He was also their lyricist. Going back and reading some of the lyrics from the last two records, knowing that he was dying...it's pretty devastating.

Last lyrics on Memento Mori (last song on his last record)

"Swan song
    A declaration of endlessness
    I swear I will not look back, as I return into the black
    When the veil lifts, how will I know?
    How will I know?
    Will I see God?

As above, so below
    Dismantled piece by piece, what's left will not decease
    As within, so without
    The seasons bring relief
    Just let me live and die in peace"

21. OpenIntro

llama llama

fucking 2016. ugh.

22. Schooner

Trusted

Was shocking news to hear yesterday. I like many others had no idea of his battle.

Respect and love to the band for doing such a difficult thing in honouring their tours they're completing to Tom

RIP big fella

Not sure if the melanoma was sun related. But keep sun safe people

23. shawnhyphenray

Regular

Not only lead guitarist, but main songwriter and pretty much the leader of the band. It was his band. RIP. This is just devastating. His brother's letter was a tearjerker.

Schooner likes this.
  24. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

Echoing what others have said. Absolutely awful. He will be missed so much.