Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dance Gavin Dance – “Chucky vs. The Giant Tortoise”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. PandaBear! Aug 19, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 19, 2016)
    PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Fantastic song for the first 3mins, outro dips slightly in quality but doesn't really affect my enjoyment of it. Sounds similar in direction/style to 'Variation' & 'Lost' off their last record IMO.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  3. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

I love that double bass part with Tilian singing even higher than normal, if that's what you mean by the end.

Cool song, like how rough Tilian's vocals sound in comparison to previous records. Slowly going back to how he sounded on Tides of Man stuff with the melodies of DGD.

4. Bryan Diem

Trusted

This is awful. Mess has like two good lines in the song and Tilian was unbearable the whole time.

5. Solidus

This is a war, sober up

I think this is awesome, I didn't expect Tilian to ever go back to his raspier vocals. I wonder how much more of that is on the album.

Also it's crazy how much music this band releases in under 2 years, especially when you consider the fact that Will just put out a Sianvar record on top of Instant Gratification and this. Plus Tilian with his solo stuff.

6. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I love this song so much. Sure, the band is now overall more groovy/poppier because of Tillian but I dig it. This record is going to be great :-)

7. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

:tear::tear: was hoping you'd like it hah

8. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

And Sianvar just did a tour as well. Machines. These guys are machines.

beachdude42 and Carmensaopaulo like this.
  9. John Zafran

As If Everything Was Held In Place

tilian crushes this man

10. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

The vocals sound great, not faking anything just rocking hard ;D

11. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I still can't get over how good Tilian sounds on this.

12. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Hahaha, I'm sorry to disappoint you bro, but I can't do it.:brokenheart: It gets better after 3:00 though, kinda JT-y. I was listening to Powder to the People in the car this morning, and I'd like to challenge the claim that this is a "more groovy" direction for them. They're capable of so so so much better, groovy things. This feels like the definition of autopilot to me.

13. GetUpAndrew

Constant horror and bone-deep dissatisfaction.

Phenomenal track, I can't hardly contain my excitement for this album. Tilian's vocals are top notch as usual.

14. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Tillian might be my favorite singer working right now, really need to go back and listen to his Tides Of Man stuff.

15. thesollopsist

Pro Sleeper Prestigious

Fucking love it.

16. chuwaay

I love that their lyrics make no sense. Killer track.

17. Strikegently

close cover, strike gently

If Dance Gavin Dance release an instrumental version of all of their albums, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

18. Bryan Diem

Trusted

The release of their snoozer reminded me to jam DBMII while disc golfing today. It's literally the grooviest shit ever. Don't let Jonny make you sleep on the best instrumentals these guys ever concocted.

19. Raj710

They've gotten so....stagnant?

Bryan Diem likes this.
  20. Jake W

I really liked the two DBMII songs on Tree City Sessions... Jonny's definitely the problem with that album and I can't enjoy it.

21. Bryan Diem

Trusted

As much as I don't understand that, I think it's actually pretty easy to just...ignore him on that album, haha. Literally everything else is the tightest ever.

batmansgrapple likes this.
  22. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I'm not the biggest fan of that record compared to others but I do agree it's pretty easy to ignore Jonny on it. I mean he literally phones it in anyways so it's not much of a prescene. Mess is a fucking animal on that record however! Respect bud. Respect.

Instrumentally, record is pretty tight. Songs like Heat Seaking Ghost of Sex, Spooks, Need Money, and Elder Goose are still favorites of me.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  23. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I got a big ole bone to pick with Jonny being phoned in but we can disagree there. Maybe it's Mess and everyone else working around his parts, but I think there's realllll chemistry there.

24. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

lol, I'm so biased in favour of this band I can barely engage in any rational debate with someone who's opinion differs from my own!!! Anyone who thinks they're slipping is a damn idiot :crylaugh::crylaugh::crylaugh:

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  25. Jake W

Tilian is God anyone who thinks differently is wrong.