Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Geoff Rickly on Surviving Martin Shkreli

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Gary Suarez, writing at Pitchfork, speaks with Geoff Rickly of Thursday on “surviving” Martin Shkreli. This is the first time I’ve seen Geoff publicly mention that Collect Records was originally going to put out that The Hotelier album:

We would talk about bands. He brought me the Hotelier. I didn’t know them, they were sort of a buzzy band already. But he was super into them. He was always like you’re not signing enough bands. For me, the situation was so good that I didn’t want to lose it. I probably should have pressured him to put more money into each band.

And:

I met with the Hotelier about their record, which is so good. I thought, “This is the record that could save our label, it’s so good. There’s this one song on it that’s so much better than the rest of the record that we finally have a single—a real single.” And they were like, “We can’t do it.” That meeting, I felt like somebody punched me in the stomach. And I didn’t feel like they were betraying me. I just felt like I was understanding there’s no saving it. This is it. This is done.

2. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

The "single" had to be Two Delieverances right?

teebs41 likes this.
  3. devenstonow

Noobie

Settle the Scar?

teebs41 likes this.
  4. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Could've had a my chem release?

matthaber and teebs41 like this.
  5. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

It was probably what was just announced

6. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

My guess is it was two deliverances settle the scar isn't a single mainly bc of the bridge. Also could be soft animal or piano player lol

7. doubledribble

Regular

Good read.

8. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I feel for Geoff, he's worked so hard and had all sorts of weird setbacks. Victory records
    Comes to mind, pretty sure they are still
    Paying back that bill

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  9. Ska Senanake

Trusted

At least Thursday is back together! I hope we get some new tunes soon. Geoff always seems to get the short end of the stick. He's the man though. Lyrically he's had a huge impact on me. More then most poets.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  10. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Feel bad for Geoff. Fuck that scumbag Shkreli.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  11. Tylar

Wow this is a really interesting and insightful read, it's nice to get some clarity on Geoff and Shkreli's connection. Had wondered how they could possibly be.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  12. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

i feel so fucking bad for him man. that bit about the hotelier is brutal. i understand why the band would walk away but man what a loss that must've been for geoff.

13. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

my guess is soft animal because thats the best song on the album

Dan O'Neill, Steeeve Perry and js977 like this.
  14. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

soft animal

15. kevincomplains

there's a pretty interesting interview with Shkreli on the podcast Pardon My Take. His own opinion on what he did and a personality that somewhat contradicts the media's portrayal of him (shocking).

Bryan Diem and blacktaxi2d like this.
  16. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Soft Animal is the obvious choice for a single for mine. Catchy, has a hooky bridge, and a singalong chorus. Also the best song on the album.

17. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Actually read the lyrics to it for the first time after reading this thread. Man this album gets better and better every time I hear it. And I absolutely hated it to death the first 5 times I tried to listen.

kevincomplains likes this.
  18. Tom Lee

Regular

Just started watching this. Martin Shkreli on Periscope for two hours, while inviting people who hate him to call him. It's interesting. He seems like a smart, charming dude. Definitely quite sociopathic though. I have very mixed feelings.

Martin Shkreli @MartinShkreli

Bryan Diem likes this.
  19. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I'm 99% certain he means two deliverances. Would've been amazing if Geoff had put it out, my two favorite bands

20. RiseAgainst379

Regular

Hallmark of a sociopath right here.

21. dubey

Regular

Haven't listened to the new Hotelier much but Soft Animal is a standout

22. transrebel59

Regular

It's really crazy how good of taste in music this guy (Shkreli) has.

jorbjorb likes this.
  23. AgainstMe182

Sounds like playing in Thursday is still not really a good time :(

24. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Geoff constantly gets shafted by life and it sucks. Luckily, he somehow manages to turn that negativity into something literally thousands upon thousands of people grow from as well. Good reminder that lifes not all bad.

Also, following Shkreli on twitter is something else. Every day is another adventure. Really cool of him to give all those chemistry lessons online.

jorbjorb and mattylikesfilms like this.
  25. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

But he said one song was better than the rest. That's another vote for Soft Animal surely.