Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Reddit Won’t Turn Over IP Address of User Who May Have Leaked Twenty One Pilots’ Song

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Josh Katzowitz, writing for The Daily Dot, on Atlantic Records trying to get Reddit to release the IP address of the person that leaked a Twenty One Pilots’ song on the service:

“Upon becoming aware of the Posting, Atlantic attempted to have the illegally-distributed copies of ‘Heathens’ removed from the Internet,” the label said in the lawsuit. “Despite expending significant effort and funds in this attempt, the removal efforts were ultimately unsuccessful in curtailing further widespread distribution… As a result of the need to change the release date of ‘Heathens,’ Atlantic’s marketing efforts were substantially frustrated … Sales of the ‘Heathens’ single, which were unsupported by Atlantic’s carefully-planned marketing strategy, failed to reach predicted levels, causing substantial harm to Atlantic in the form of lost single and album sales revenue.

2. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

"Heathens" is underselling? It's lighting up the Top 40 and alternative radio.

coleslawed, Raku and Turkeylegz like this.
  3. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Why does it even matter at this point? Most people who care enough about leaks are fans and will probably purchase it anyway. The top 40 crowd buys it when it hits the airwaves and word of mouth is spread. By the time it hits the airwaves whether it leaked a week before it's intended release should have little impact, right?
    I am, however, pretty ignorant to how the music industry actually works and could be wrong?

4. I think it's because Atlantic thinks one of their employees leaked it and want to know and punish/fire/not trust them anymore.

5. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Ah ok. That makes a lot more sense.

6. KimmyGibbler

Everywhere you look... Prestigious

I get why Atlantic wants to go after the guy but I am glad Reddit is protecting their users.

7. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Alternatively, I think Tyler himself leaked it, as he leaked Blurryface...

coleslawed likes this.
  8. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Tyler's dad leaked it.

9. DearCory

Regular

That makes a lot more sense for the witch hunt

These were my thoughts as well

10. heymattrick

Pool Boy at the Vampire Mansion

I know the song's success doesn't negate the illegality of the leak, but I do think it's ironic they're trying to make a point that sales were lost when the single is doing so well.

As a TOP fan, it was a pretty magical night when a new song (mostly) unexpectedly dropped out of nowhere. The Reddit Username was 'twentyoneheathens', a lot of us are pretty confident the leak came from somewhere close to the band. I think the interesting part is even though FBR released the song through iTunes early, the band still did not even acknowledge the song officially existed for several days after.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  11. KimmyGibbler

Wait, why would Tyler have leaked it?

12. efp722

Regular

I feel like im the only person who does not like this band

h8bit, fenway89, mercury and 4 others like this.
  13. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Nah im with ya

hongfong00, h8bit, Contender and 4 others like this.
  14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I think a lot of people dislike Stressed Out

15. Thursdaysox

We know it from the silence

*raises hand*

16. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

I respect what they do but I don't understand the appeal.

17. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Atlantic is driving more attention to the issue by going after the guy.

Unless they are looking to punish an employee and prevent future leaks, this is just making things worse for them.

18. Delysid

Regular

I recently became intrigued and read the bands wikipedia page. It made me feel so out of the loop because it seemed like they came out of nowhere to me but they've totally been pumping out singles that I've heard everywhere and didn't realize it was all them.. Seems like their music is all over the place in regards to genre

Mr. Serotonin and heymattrick like this.
  19. efp722

Regular

20. red8ge

Regular

i think reddit sucks but it is cool of them to protect the privacy of their users

21. Turkeylegz

Trusted

If this is the case it is probably because he really, really does not like the business aspect of music and wanted to mess with the record label. He's been known to complain about labels control over music and creativity.

22. KimmyGibbler

That sort of attitude from musicians drives me nuts tbh.

23. Lucas27

Trusted

Possible, but very doubtful. Tyler leaked Blurryface on a legit site (GhostTunes) where it could be purchased without harm to the label or fans. As someone who managed to see it at the right time, it was such a cool feeling getting to hear the album ten days early and guilt free. He played that situation really well. If he leaked "Heathens" this way, it just seems like a sloppy way of doing so in light of Blurryface. But they're not beyond breaking the rules so who knows?

24. Lucas27

Trusted

I think it's understandable though. When you have a specific mission and know exactly what you're aiming for and a label is trying to negate that once you get to a certain level of popularity, it has to be super frustrating. Even if it is a necessary evil. You shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you, but you shouldn't be force fed something you disagree with.

That said, I don't think the band has much against Fueled By Ramen. They seem great about giving their artists the freedom they want.

Carmensaopaulo and Turkeylegz like this.
  25. KimmyGibbler

Yeah I get all that. But I think in 2016 it isn't a necessary evil. Twenty One Pilots could make music, distribute that music to the public, and tour without major label support, now more than ever. But they signed to a label and I have always thought it was a little obnoxious to agree to have a label invest time and money into making your band successful and then claim that their efforts are imposing on your creative vision.

If he wanted to be an artist he should have done that, he chose to be a product.