Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Twitter: “A Honeypot for Assholes”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Charlie Warzel, writing for Buzzfeed, with a massive condemnation of Twitter and their handling of trolls and abuse on their platform:

According to 10 high-level former employees, the social network’s long history with abuse has been fraught with inaction and organizational disarray. Taken together, these interviews tell the story of a company that’s been ill-equipped to handle harassment since its beginnings. Fenced in by an abiding commitment to free speech above all else and a unique product that makes moderation difficult and trolling almost effortless, Twitter has, over a chaotic first decade marked by shifting business priorities and institutional confusion, allowed abuse and harassment to continue to grow as a chronic problem and perpetual secondary internal priority. On Twitter, abuse is not just a bug, but — to use the Silicon Valley term of art — a fundamental feature.

If I had to venture a guess, I think an outside company buys Twitter within the next 8 months. I see the amount of fly-by bullshit in my @replies on a weekly basis and I know for a fact it’s not anywhere near what other people are getting. I hope someone buys them and makes a better community. Twitter could be, should be, a fantastic place online. It’s not.

2. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I don't think I was logged in when I submitted this, but I'm really happy to see you enjoyed it and posted it. Unless you found it on your own, in which case I'll just shut the fuck up now.

3. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I'm in the "Google would be a good fit" camp, but apparently they passed on a deal. Verizon or Comcast maybe, if they could figure out how to integrate it. Pairing live-tweeting with television and ads, or something. There's been speculation of a Twitter buyout for a long, long time though.

4. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

Honestly, Twitter is the best place for promotion since they haven't capped the amount of followers seeing your tweets. The people on there are horrible though.

5. theredline

Trusted Supporter

There's always gonna be horrible people at shows, on the internet...just in life. How does one propose stopping that?

6. Raku

Regular

Not as bad as youtube comments. Every time I watch a video I make the mistake of reading youtube comments which leaves me feeling instant regret afterwards because of how disgusting and rage inducing/stupid those comments can be =/

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  7. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

It's not about stopping horrible people, it's about protecting victims from abuse.

8. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

Agreed. Twitter at least caps it off at 140 characters. YouTube can go on and on.