Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Best v The Favorites

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Devin Faraci, writing about the difference between “best” versus “favorite”:

So the next time you see a list of someone’s favorite movies, instead of jumping right to why they’re wrong or asking the perennial irritating asshole question “What, no love for ______?”, try instead to have a conversation about why those films got picked. That’s a great discussion to be had, whether it’s directly with the person making the list or whether it’s you trying to understand an artist’s tastes and how they influence his or her work. And it’s always great for you, as a grown up thinking person, to be able to explain why you like stuff – why things are your favorites – beyond “My dad showed it to me when I was 7.”

Amen.

2. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Devin gets a lot of shit from the fanboy community (I don't even wanna think about what was thrown his way after his thoughts on BvS), but I love that he's always putting up necessary pieces like this. It's just sad that this has to be considered necessary.

3. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I love Devin!

4. I write about this vital difference pretty often on my blog.

It kills me when news posts have clickbait titles about "The 5 Best..." whatevers when the article itself is clearly concerned with favorites.

5. FrankieThe4th

things have never been stranger Prestigious

Always push for the difference between best vs favorites. Best is a consensus, favorite is personal. Sure, your favorite Beatle might be Ringo, but you'll have a hell of a time trying to claim he was the best.

6. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Dear god yes, this article. Far too often people conflate "best" with "favorite" or "This is bad" with "I don't like this." Not the same thing.

7. doubledribble

Regular

But Ringo was the best...

8. TrailerParkJesus

OG

I love this topic... Whenever I discuss anything (music, TV, movies, etc.) I always clarify wether I'm talking about favorites or best. People are so quick to criticize opinions, and I know damn well there is a difference between what I consider favorites and what I think is the best.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  9. That list of Edgar Wright's favorite 1000 films is FIRE.

10. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I feel like we might need to repost this at the end of the year when we do our staff list...

InfiniteArms and Jason Tate like this.
  11. FrankieThe4th

things have never been stranger Prestigious

No doubt about it, he's definitely top four as far as Beatles go.

doubledribble likes this.