Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Gold Medal Stupid

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Christine Birkner, writing for AdWeek, about how if you’re a business and you tweet about the Olympics you may get in trouble (emphasis mine):

While individuals, news media and official sponsors are generally free to post about the games and athletes during the Olympics, other businesses and brands are essentially locked out from anything close to a direct discussion.

Summarizing its many brand restrictions, which you can see detailed below, the USOC warns businesses: “Do not create social media posts that are Olympic themed, that feature Olympic trademarks, that contain Games imagery or congratulate Olympic performance unless you are an official sponsor as specified in the Social Media Section.”

Oh come on.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  2. This is beyond insane. So they don't want people giving THEM free promotion? Plenty of organized events would die for the scale of social media love the Olympics would get from brands.

Side Note: looks like "go for the gold" is one of the trademarked phrases that can't be on social media. Smash Mouth is gonna be pissed.

Edit: I guess that line in All-star is "go for the moon". Now I win the gold idiot award. But at least Smash Mouth is ok to post!

3. Blake Solomon

Mr. Emeritus Prestigious

My agency does advertising for the milk processor board, an official sponsor, and also chocolate milk, not an official sponsor (but a sponsor of many Olympic athletes). The differences in the rules has been a real eye opener for what the two can say or portray.

4. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I remember this issue coming up at Sochi with a few snowboarders. sponsors tweeted out congrats, and the Olympic Committee did not like it.

5. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Excellent way to make sure people keep talking about the disastrous parts of the Olympics, and none of the positives.

coleslawed likes this.
  6. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Wow that's honestly crazy

7. Buscemi knows best

You owe me a Sausage McMuffin

I work at an NBC affiliate, and even our restrictions are crazy.

8. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

I actually saw a video on YouTube recently where the presenter vaguely ran through why he couldn't mention "the thing with the five multicoloured circles" and would refer to it as "super happy fun times"

9. josh.

Here's a website made by track and field athletes advocating for their right to mention their sponsors and capitalize on their accomplishments: rule40

10. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Haha, who does the IOC think they are, the NFL?

"The big game."

It's shit like this that takes this stuff way too far. Yes, many brands ponied up big time to advertise/be official sponsor at the Olympics, but if a brand just congrats a client on a good job that shouldn't be grounds for infringement of any sort. That's just insane. Go after brands/companies that are blatantly capitalizing on the Olympics, case by case. Don't fuck everyone and make yourself look like pieces of shit -- oh wait, this is the IOC.

Business as usual. Carry on.

* I see this references the USOC specifically. Point stands.