Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Facebook Changing Algorithm to Punish Clickbait

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Facebook will be tweaking its news algorithm to start ranking stories that are seen as “clickbait” much lower than others. From Facebook’s blog, announcing this change:

We are focusing more effort on this, and are updating News Feed by using a system that identifies phrases that are commonly used in clickbait headlines. First, we categorized tens of thousands of headlines as clickbait by considering two key points: (1) if the headline withholds information required to understand what the content of the article is; and (2) if the headline exaggerates the article to create misleading expectations for the reader. For example, the headline “You’ll Never Believe Who Tripped and Fell on the Red Carpet…” withholds information required to understand the article (What happened? Who Tripped?) The headline “Apples Are Actually Bad For You?!” misleads the reader (apples are only bad for you if you eat too many every day). A team at Facebook reviewed thousands of headlines using these criteria, validating each other’s work to identify a large set of clickbait headlines.

Good.

2. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

Good.

3. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Facebook changes algorithm and you won't believe what happens next!!!

4. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Developers Use One Trick To Cut Down Clickbait! (Buzzfeed HATES Them!)

5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

keep on going guys, please

6. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

When are they going to change the algorithm of the people that share these on my timeline?

7. theredline

Trusted Supporter

When are they gonna just let me see what my friends post in chronological order? That would be great.

8. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

I lol'd.

9. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

You mean the thing that their other social platform just abandoned after 5 years of using it? I'd go ahead and say never, ever X infinity.

10. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i mean there is an option for that...
    little arrow next to newsfeed let's you change that

coleslawed, Contender and ChaseTx like this.
  11. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I mean that close...but it still filters out stuff. I have friends whose stuff I never see...or if I do see it there will be something from two days ago above something from two minutes ago...super weird. I just want everything from my friends, no filters, in chronological order. But I know that'll never happen

12. Buscemi knows best

You owe me a Sausage McMuffin

Their algorithm has already been leaning this way for a few months, but perhaps on a lesser scale. I work in news, and any FB post our station makes with language like "coming up tonight at 11" or similar... gets maybe 1/10th the reach as a post without teasing language. It's annoying as all hell. But I get why they're doing it.

13. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Fuck I think I've been eating too many apples

14. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Classic Schmosby

PandaBear! likes this.
  15. Schooner

Trusted

As much as Facebook having your friends in chronological order as standard would be good. I'm loving Instagram not being that way anymore no now I see my friends rare posts, rather than the bikini model who puts 19 up a day, interaction first

16. jimmy john

The sea was angry that day, my friends Prestigious

Except everyone knows that Facebook policy and algorithmic changes don't really apply to large publishers like Buzzfeed, Huff and a couple others. Money talks.

17. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

seriously over click bait so I hope this works