Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Modest Mouse’s Issac Brock in Accident

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Modest Mouse’s Issac Brock was in an accident in Portland, OR, yesterday. He apparently fell asleep at the wheel. He is ok. From Oregonlive:

Brock told police that he had fallen asleep at the wheel. He was evaluated for signs of intoxication, but there were no signs of him being otherwise impaired so police cited him for careless driving. Simpson reported that the investigation is closed and that there weren’t any serious injuries.

2. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

This moron is lucky he didn't kill anyone.

3. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

That's not entirely fair, falling asleep could potentially have a decent explanation. Not necessarily a good one, you should never drive if you feel like your not completely there, but if nothing else he could have had valid reasons for being up so long (assuming that's what caused it)

4. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Glad to hear that this turned out how it did when considering everything that could have happened

5. When I saw the BN/MM tour in Seattle Isaac was a goddamn mess. My friend and I actually walked out, it was kind of embarrassing. There's more going on here than lack of sleep (not saying he was intoxicated while driving, but it doesn't seem like he's in a good place right now).

Arry likes this.
  6. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

When I was 15 and driving in a Student Driver car, I dozed off for like 3 seconds to the point where instructor had to slam on his break and reach over to grab the wheel...

It happens.

Haven't been in a crash in my 15 years of driving since.

7. Anticitizen7

In what way? It's seems like being a goddamn mess is just the dudes aesthetic, but I wasn't able to catch any of those dates.

8. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

So? He's still a moron for getting behind the wheel. If a bike or a pedestrian had been in the mix he could have seriously hurt or killed someone.

9. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Jesse Lacey is losing all his friends to sleeping and to driving...

Aaron Mook, St. Nate and latortuga like this.
  10. Anticitizen7

Didn't one of the members of Brand New fall asleep at the wheel and flip a van with the members inside? I remember seeing a video where they said that influenced a lot of those lyrics.

11. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

yeah i was there as well, it was too much

Thursdaysox likes this.
  12. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

mic mumbles, slurred words, sounded like he just wanted to make some random sounds.. i've never seen MM live, so i don't know if this is their MO, but I didn't enjoy it much. brand new was great as always tho

Thursdaysox likes this.
  13. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Isaac actually has a very bad lisp, so he's extremely hard to understand if he's just talking. I saw them at the Pittsburgh date and they were great live. I didn't understand a word he said though in between songs.

14. circasurviver

Trusted

That's what happens when you're on a long drive with nothing to think about.

15. Ska Senanake

Trusted

It's easy to fall asleep at the wheel if you're on a long drive and you're someone with nothing to think about. Something tells me Brock is not this type of person. Glad he is ok and glad nobody got hurt.

16. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Damn you!

17. Grant

Pretty sure he was drunk and high at the Portland show. Honestly I felt like more people were there for Brand New.

18. bptky

check out Musica - Akron's best live music venue

Saw them in Chicago and didn't get that impression at all from Isaac. I actually thought Modest Mouse played a better set than Brand New too.

19. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

MM is not consistent at all with their performances - mainly due to Isaac. It used to be a lot worse, but he has sobered up some. He's at least better than he used to be. MM will always be my favorite band, but I'd rather listen to their albums than catch them live.

In this situation, it doesn't seem that he was under the influence of anything which I'm glad to hear. I think this is just a prime example of how touring can really take a toll on a musician, especially if they don't take care of themselves in the process. Obviously that's not an excuse, as he could have easily hurt or killed another human being. But let's be glad it turned out like it did - a few bumped cars.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  20. Iamhollywood315 Aug 4, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 4, 2016)
    Iamhollywood315

Regular

I saw him at the Austin show and he seemed to be alright. I know he is an alcoholic, I thought he was in recovery but it seems he could have relapsed and is drinking again even though he was let go that night. Not saying he was drunk driving but drinking wears a person on sleep, emotions and mental state.

21. Interesting. I can say without a doubt that BN played a better set than MM in Seattle, even though they played their shortest set this tour.

22. bobsheiskawy

is it the same for you? Prestigious

i feel the same way about the boston show. people were really into brand new, but modest mouse sounded better.

23. I'm just glad no one was hurt and he wasn't intoxicated. He has a history.

24. chris

Trusted Supporter

"which hit a Subaru, which hit another Subaru"

yup sounds like Portland alright

25. Speculating on the internet about whether or not someone who has a history of problems with drugs and alcohol has relapsed is not a super cool thing to do. Just saying.

That being said, MM was pretty disappointing when I saw them live in April before the BN tour started.