Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kesha Drops Sex Assault Case Against Dr. Luke

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Claudia Rosenbaum, writing for Buzzfeed, on Kesha dropping her sex assault case against Dr. Luke in California to focus on releasing music:

“Kesha is focused on getting back to work and has delivered 28 new songs to the record label,” Daniel Petrocelli, partner at O’Melveny & Myers, said in a statement to BuzzFeed News. “We have conveyed to Sony Music and the label Kesha’s strong desire to release the single and an album as soon as possible.”

2. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Booo! I'm sure there's no way she can match his lawyers. What a sicko.

3. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Absolute shame the courts are so against her, it's just pathetic. Also just getting it out of the way now, if anyone comes in here saying "Oh she's dropping the charges so she was lying the whole time" then no, you're wrong and it's probably best not to say that or anything similar. Just don't.

4. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

They're just 28 30-second long grindcore tracks just shitting on Dr. Luke.

This whole situation is messed up.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  5. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

Dirty shame. Reason will prevail! .. but not yet.

6. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

Ok, I'm a little lost. Now she's able to release music? Was this an agreement to drop the lawsuit?

7. RiseAgainst379

Regular

She voluntarily dismissed the suit, which is a pretty good indication that her team doesnt think she has a chance at winning currently. So they shifted strategies, by effectively forcing Sony to release her new music pursuant to the terms of her contract, or else refuse to. Which would give her an excellent counter claim to basically turn to the court and say "look, you told me I had to work with this douche. So here I am trying to do that in good faith, and they're refusing. So now THEY'RE the ones in breach, not me." (I'm not suggesting she ever breached her contract, just that I'm sure Sony is arguing that she did/is/will.)

8. NotBruce

Regular

Dr. Luke's lawyers quotes irritated me so much.

9. stuckinvhs

Social Justice Wizard Prestigious

Sony needs to fuck off already.

incognitojones likes this.
  10. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

On the one hand, it's good that she's putting out new music without having to work with Dr. Luke. One the other hand, nobody that wants to support Kesha can now do so without also supporting Sony.

I don't know what her contract says exactly, and I won't pretend to, but if I were her I'd literally just crap out as many songs as possible as fast as possible and just release as many albums as she needs to complete it and get out. At least, that's assuming she's contracted for a certain number of releases and not in some other way. Who care if the music is good or not? She wouldn't be the first artist to do that and she wouldn't be the last either.

11. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

sigh

12. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

I'm sure that's easier to do when you aren't considering a legacy. Most contracts have cycles defined in them to, I would imagine. So she creates, promotes, tours, all within a couple years. Then they'll let her enter into the next record cycle.

13. David-

Trusted

I think that's how most are structured. Like, when Bon Jovi left Mercury. They just recorded a bunch of unreleased songs and did a mini tour to fulfill the contract so they could leave. I think it's the samw. Situation with her. She has to do so much for each album released.

14. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I mean, at this point I'd imagine she would be proud for part of her legacy to contain a period where she gave a big "Fuck You" to Sony after the way they've treated her, even if that means rushing releases and having them not be of the best quality. Not that any of her music has been very good, in my opinion, but that's not really the point I was trying to make.

Also, as I said, I don't know what her contract actually says, just saying it's what I would do. She's in a situation that nobody should ever have to be in, and if she could get out of it while also screwing Sony over then even better. It sucks for her to have to make music for them, and her fans can't even support her without also supporting them. Rushing out songs is a way to end that situation as quickly as possible.