Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Gawker Media Founder Files for Bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Peter Sterne, writing for Politico, on how Nick Denton, the founder of Gawker Media, has filed for bankruptcy:

“Gawker Media Group’s resilient brands and people will thrive under new ownership, when the sale closes in the next few weeks,” he wrote. “On this bitter day for me, I am consoled by the fact that my colleagues will soon be freed from this tech billionaire’s vendetta.”

Hogan sued Denton, Gawker and Daulerio in 2012, after the news site published a short excerpt of one of Hogan’s sex tapes. Peter Thiel, a billionaire technology venture capitalist who dislikes Gawker, secretly funded Hogan’s lawsuit against the company.

2. Thursdaysox

We know it from the silence

Nice

Raku likes this.
  3. I don't like Gawker and I don't like Thiel - all the people involved can toil in shit

4. CheapPop

Regular

Gawker is an awful website, that has done vile and disgusting things for years now. About time they got theirs.

Raku and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  5. HueyLewis

Regular

Does this mean Hogan won't get paid?

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  6. Dean

Trusted Prestigious

I don't always like Gawker, but it's bad that someone like Peter Thiel is able to do something like this.

7. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

DarkHotline, Bryan Diem and Raku like this.
  8. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

peter thiel is a literal vampire

9. Jared Luttrell

Regular

Not a fan of Gawker but I've always liked the site owned by them known as Kotaku. I hope it survives as I enjoy the writers that work there.

10. Raku

Regular

Yeah, I liked Kotaku too, Lifehack is also pretty useful.

For a second I misread the name as "Peter Thief" XD

11. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Glad Gawker is fucked (and they lost that lawsuit on merit, not procedure - Theil's money did not affect the former) but the fact it's bankrupted this dude is kinda sad IMO.

Raku likes this.