Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge Donations Lead to Significant Gene Discovery

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The ALSA has reported that the donations received from the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge has led to a significant gene discovery:

According to a paper published today in Nature Genetics, researchers part of Project MinE’s global gene sequencing effort, funded by The ALS Association through ALS Ice Bucket Challenge donations, have identified a new ALS gene, NEK1, which now ranks among the most common genes that contribute to the disease, providing scientists with another potential target for therapy development. This was the largest-ever study of familial (inherited) ALS, involved contributions from over 80 researchers in 11 countries, and was led by John Landers, Ph.D., of University of Massachusetts Medical School in Worcester, Mass. and Jan Veldink, Ph.D., of University Medical Center Utrecht, in The Netherlands.

Derek Wright, InfiniteArms and Essie like this.
  2. Supernova Jul 27, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 27, 2016)
    Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

This is great news. My dad passed from this disease 6 years ago. No one should have to deal with that again.

3. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

I always kind of got the impression that a lot of people who did this didn't actually donate. It's awesome to see that people did, and even better to see that it's genuinely making a difference for people affected by this disease.

Derek Wright likes this.
  4. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Well, so much for those "slacktivism" accusations...

5. Luroda

Consistently Lurking

This is a win for science. Makes me happy.

Turkeylegz and Derek Wright like this.
  6. Derek Wright

Regular Prestigious

This is great news! My Mother has ALS, it's the worst disease I've ever seen or heard of. I hope one day we will find a cure.. hopefully before it takes her life. #FuckALS #Prayers #ILoveYouMom

Supernova, Turkeylegz and Serh like this.