Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Third Eye Blind – “Cop vs. Phone Girl”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Third Eye Blind have released their new song “Cop vs. Phone Girl” from their upcoming EP, We Are Drugs. You can stream the song below.

With summer pop playlists packed with the usual club life subject matter, Third Eye Blind today drops perhaps the most incendiary track of the season.
    “Cop Vs. Phone Girl” takes a mid tempo, rhythmic sing along to tap on police brutality and race that is both up nightmarish and uplifting. Written by frontman Stephan Jenkins, the song’s impact is all the more intense because the absurdity that it depicts is an accounting of an actual assault. In a testament to Jenkins’ songwriting mastery, he still finds a way to chide hope into a dark narrative, and creates something anthemic out of viscously specific details.

The narrative behind the track is about the attack last year at Spring Valley High in South Carolina on a student by a campus police officer.

It’s a scene Jenkins understood due to his time working briefly, after college, at a school for emotionally disturbed children. “Sometimes, we had to restrain kids who were having violent outbursts,” Jenkins recalls. “We were trained not to frighten them much less cause harm. The contrast really hit home to me just how surreal and insane this incident was.”

_We Are Drugs_, the follow-up to last year’s Dopamine, was recorded in late-Spring during a week-long intensive at renowned Sonic Ranch, a vintage recording studio secluded in the midst of a pecan ranch in Texas borderland. Jenkins: “It allowed us the focus to take songs sometimes all the way from inception to completion in continuous sessions. We also allowed ourselves freedom on We Are Drugs from any definitions or guidelines of what we were supposed to be, we just took joy in getting in a big room together and letting music happen and then chasing it around wherever it led us. It is one of the most freeing recording experiences I have had.”

The artwork for We Are Drugs, a collaboration between Jenkins and photographer Travis Shinn, takes it inspiration from Dali’s Un Chien Andalou. “It’s simple really, says Jenkins “everything that has been happening to us and around us these days has been pretty goddamn surreal.”

“Cop Vs. Phone Girl” is part of a long line of Third Eye Blind songs with progressive intent, all which started with the 1997 classic, “Jumper” – a noir about acceptance of gay youth in the face bullying. Additional songs illustrating Jenkins’ politically-focused wordplay include “One In Ten,” “About to Break,” “Red Star,” “Danger,” “Don’t Believe A Word,” “Slow Motion,” “Non-Dairy Creamer” and “If There Ever Was A Time.” Stream Third Eye Blind’s brand new song, “Cop Vs. Phone Girl,” HERE.

Coinciding with the release of the song, Third Eye Blind also recently announced its upcoming international tour dates and summer festival appearances. A full listing of dates can be found below and more information on tickets can be found via Third Eye Blind’s official website, http://www.thirdeyeblind.com.

2. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

"Take it from me, I'm super fucking white" - lyric of the year

3. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Definitely interesting from all aspects.

4. eboo

Can't wait for ep, loved dopamine

Mr. Serotonin and bd007h like this.
  5. FakeGyllenhaal

Perfect timing with the RNC thing happening last week and them being probably more relevant to the mainstream than the've been in quite a while.

That being said the song is really really good.

6. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Wow, new EP?! Yes please!

7. artbynickferran

nickferran.com

I didn't think I could love this band any more than I already did, but god damn

8. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Super pumped that we get new music from them this year. Wasn't expecting any until at least 2020, honestly

9. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

They said they are done with releasing full albums after "Dopamine" and will only be releasing individual songs online.

*edit: wait, they are releasing an EP? Still not a full album but not exactly "individual songs" lol

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  10. Dopamine is one of my favourite albums in recent memory, and this song seems to continue to cement 3EB as one of my favourite bands of all time. So stoked for the EP!!

11. GetUpAndrew

Constant horror and bone-deep dissatisfaction.

That chorus is sensational.

12. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

You're right, but he also said that if they happened to have like 3-4 cohesive songs they would release EP's. Basically, he's gonna do whatever he wants, but no more full lengths.

bd007h likes this.
  13. Mr. Serotonin

Glad to see all of the support in here. Very annoying as a fan to read other comments about the song. Saying it's "too political I won't be following them anymore" and "Where are the guitars?" and "Stephan sounds like he's an old man desperately trying to keep up with the times". I don't see any of it that way at all.

bd007h likes this.
  14. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

I dig it.

15. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

I was not expecting this after it took so long for the last album to come out. Awesome!

16. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

This song has the charm that made me fall in love with TEB in the first place. The same charm I feel like they haven't had in years.

17. thegreatbenbino

Be excellent to each other! Supporter

Great band is great. On first listen, this might already be one of my favorite 3EB songs. Love the message, love the lyrics and that chorus is awesome.

bd007h likes this.
  18. Mr. Serotonin

Echoing what everyone's saying about this chorus. So awesome. Uplifiting and super catchy with Jenkin's signature "oOooOohhh's" :crylaugh:

I've listened to this like 8 times today. Needs to be on Spotify.

19. Fox83

Trusted

This might be their catchiest song in 13 years. I'm not a big fan of the on-the-nose lyrics. It's not that I don't appreciate the message/intent. The chorus is killer of course. Still, props to them for just going for it I guess.

20. Mr. Serotonin

Lyric video on facebook/Youtube

The comments on Facebook...jesus.

21. shawnhyphenray

Regular

wow, this is so good. Really throwback sounding

22. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Awful