Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Donald Trump’s Nomination Is Terrifying

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Ezra Klein, writing for Vox, on the nomination of Donald Trump for President:

He has had plenty of time to prove me, and everyone else, wrong. But he hasn’t. He has not become more responsible or more sober, more decent or more generous, more considered or more informed, more careful or more kind. He has continued to retweet white supremacists, make racist comments, pick unnecessary fights, contradict himself on the stump, and show an almost gleeful disinterest in building a real campaign or learning about policy.

Here is what we know — truly know — about Trump. Here is why he should not be president.

It is downright terrifying that there’s even a chance this man could be President of the United States.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  2. Punk Out

There's a very good chance Donald Trump will win. Please consider all your LGBT+ friends and family members. Please vote for anyone but Donald Trump. Just make sure you vote.

3. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

terrifying is the right word.

It just feels like one big awful joke. Like, how is this real life?
    But I saw a video a while back saying that he would be the next president simply because it is the "over correction" from people unhappy with obama (specifically republicans who were never happy with him to begin with).
    Like of course after having the first black president we have to swing back the other way and have the worst most offensive president.

Luroda, Penguin, beachdude42 and 3 others like this.
  4. Can't we just cancel this and start over with all new nominees? please?!

Benjamin Lee, Davjs, Luroda and 7 others like this.
  5. chcougar1

Trusted

This is why our country makes no progress. 8 years one party then 8 years of the opposite party. It's ridiculous.

6. This isn't the opposite party. This is new.

mercury, Luroda, Penguin and 4 others like this.
  7. Vox Has been writing and making a lot of things about how scary trump is. I don't understand how people can support him

8. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

2016 hasn't been a good year to be British or American.

9. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I haven't seen that video, but that's exactly what I've been thinking for the past 4 or 5 months. It's the only thing that explains this "stick your fingers in your ears and don't give a fuck" mentality. It appalls me that I have to even address that decency and respect, even if feigned, are a necessity for political candidates, and that people rebuff that by saying that it's time for someone different.

This week has been hell for sensible people.

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

people are scared, and being a bully he senses that and says exactly what they want to hear, which is that he can fix things even though he has literally no policy

11. Will Montei

bertbro and Schooner like this.
  12. AgainstMe182

I would never ever vote for trump but part of me hopes he wins just so the Democratic Party gets their shit pushed in. Those wikileaks files of them pushing HRC on us...unreal. That is not democracy, and fuck them for thinking we are all stupid.

Raku and Schooner like this.
  13. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

The entire planet is fucked if this man becomes president

14. Will Montei

Or we can put hope in the Bernie's on both sides of the aisle that are pushing for political reform that represents the people again.

fenway89 likes this.
  15. CaptainInsano

Apparently Trump offered Kasich the chance to be VP and Kasich would do all the big presidential stuff while Trump took the credit. I assume it'll be the same with Pence. That being said, Pence as "president" is way more comforting than Hillary.

Raku likes this.
  16. Will Montei

Pence's stances are pretty regressive. I'd take Hilary and all of her shadiness over Pence any day of the week.

17. Absolutely false. Pence is a bigot in the same ways Trump is.

18. I'm not sure what you're trying to say with that visual, but my first reaction to it is not strong. However, I find the "fuck over millions of people" thing even more repulsive.

AshlandATeam, Luroda, Essie and 2 others like this.
  19. stuckinvhs

Social Justice Wizard Prestigious

No matter who wins, we lose.

mattylikesfilms and Raku like this.
  20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

well not exactly the same, like with Ted Cruz Pence's bigotry is more codified than Trump's

Raku, beachdude42 and Jacob Davidson like this.
  21. Schooner

Trusted

Raku likes this.
  22. Also disagree. There's "losing" and there's what is on the table with a Trump election — they are vastly different in scale, impact on human rights, and global implication.

AshlandATeam and beachdude42 like this.
  23. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I've seen a trend in people who think that Trump and Clinton are equally bad and in people who think that Clinton is worse than Trump... They're all straight white males.

24. Will Montei

And pointing that out to them will definitely add to the conversation and not make them immediately defensive.

fenway89 likes this.
  25. Stilicho

Newbie Supporter

In addition to the points in the article: Trump supports waterboarding, which is torture by most definitions, and indiscriminate bombing of Iraq, which would possibly be a war crime and possibly a crime against humanity.

Yeah, the idea of Trump as POTUS is absolutely horrifying to me.

Luroda and beachdude42 like this.