Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Twitter Just Permanently Suspended Milo Yiannopoulos

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Charlie Warzel, at Buzzfeed:

According to Twitter, it was Yiannopoulos who led the harassment campaign against Ghostbusters actor Leslie Jones that inspired the SNL cast member’s decision to leave Twitter. The tweets, many of which targeted Jones for being black and a woman, were the final straw for Twitter, which is taking steps to try to solve its harassment problem.

About-fucking-time.

Statement from Twitter

People should be able to express diverse opinions and beliefs on Twitter. But no one deserves to be subjected to targeted abuse online, and our rules prohibit inciting or engaging in the targeted abuse or harassment of others. Over the past 48 hours in particular, we’ve seen an uptick in the number of accounts violating these policies and have taken enforcement actions against these accounts, ranging from warnings that also require the deletion of Tweets violating our policies to permanent suspension.
    We know many people believe we have not done enough to curb this type of behavior on Twitter. We agree. We are continuing to invest heavily in improving our tools and enforcement systems to better allow us to identify and take faster action on abuse as it’s happening and prevent repeat offenders. We have been in the process of reviewing our hateful conduct policy to prohibit additional types of abusive behavior and allow more types of reporting, with the goal of reducing the burden on the person being targeted. We’ll provide more details on those changes in the coming weeks.

2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Justice

3. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

good riddance, this guy is garbage

incognitojones likes this.
  4. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Not sure what happened here, and it sounds like it was awful.

Side note though, she is by far the least funny person they've had in years on the show.(has absolutely nothing to do with gender or race)

5. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

About time. This dude is a huge piece of shit that homophobes use to "prove" they're not homophobic

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  6. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Part of what makes me hate "social media". Stuff like this just makes me wanna unplug and abandon all cyber platforms

EvanT.O likes this.
  7. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Oh, so this is the low life piece of shit I've been hearing about! Twitter has been embarrassingly slow about suspending him. The Twitter community has been going off on this dude all week.

On a side note, as awful as Twitter's harassment problem is, Jones doesn't seem to have a very good grasp on social media in general. She took to defending herself earlier today over photoshopped pictures of homophobic tweets coming from "her" account when it was pretty easy to determine it wasn't her with just common sense. I think the trolls would have a harder time getting to her if she were a bit more Twitter savvy. The serious way she's taking it just encourages them, although granted, it looks like that's just what it took to get Twitter to pay attention.

EvanT.O, Dominick and Kizwiz like this.
  8. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

fuck this guy

9. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

He spent the better part of a year trying to ruin my brother's life while simultaneously publicly hitting on him (a weird fucking power move if I've ever seen one). Dude can go suck on a car tailpipe.

10. DooDooBird

Trusted

I have no idea who this guy is or what is going on... but I googled this dude to find out and he just looks like a massive douchebag.

11. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I've seen some appalling things in my time on Twitter, but this was the first time I genuinely thought I was gonna have my food come back up. What kind of fucking coward and useless cretin do you have to be to post shit like that and get others to do the same? His statement at the end of Buzzfeed's story was just as pathetic. Fuck, I hate being this mad.

12. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

He had a very weird interview with Joe Rogan on his podcast. He would have a rational convo with Rogan about a subject and then pump it up to another level in the matter of seconds. It was the oddest thing I've ever heard.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  13. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

i hope this paves the way towards twitter protecting all of its users and being more proactive about abusive accounts. there are a lot of people who aren't famous receiving that same kind of vitriol.

14. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Fuck this guy x20

DarkHotline likes this.
  15. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I only heard about this guy recently, and wish I still hadn't. What a tool.

DarkHotline likes this.
  16. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Curious to know what this was about, if it's not too personal.

17. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I know that's an opinion but there are far worse people on that cast than Jones by a mile.

Jacob Davidson and Aaron Mook like this.
  18. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

Honestly was 90% confident that 'truelovewaits' minimalising the issue and then shitting on Leslie would end up being a troll account. I apologise for that snap judgement. That being said, I disagree pretty emphatically and "(has absolutely nothing to do with gender or race)" is one of those things....that if you have to say...you know the rest.

Jacob Davidson and Dan O'Neill like this.
  19. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Maybe it's because I've been drinking but this post is like all over the place and I can't understand what you're trying to say.

20. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

Ah, shit, meant to multi-quote. My reply was directed at @truelovewaits

DarkHotline likes this.
  21. Kizwiz

Regular

Didn't agree with some of his extreme conservative views, but I did like the guy as he usually prevented facts in most of the debates I'd seen. Obviously he went too far at times and has had several warnings, so the suspension seems justifiable.

But the reality is, things like this will get him more radicalized support.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  22. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

GOOD.

No one gives a shit and this is not the thread for that.

beachdude42, Arry, fame and 3 others like this.
  23. razorburn

Trusted

Dude is human garbage. Good riddance.

24. PandaBear! Jul 20, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 20, 2016)
    PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

LOL, this guy is pure trash - what does he even do?

Edit: he's a "columnist"? Lol, fuck off back to obscurity you little shit!

25. FakeGyllenhaal

Yeah, it sucks and it's too bad nobody stopped her on her end. Not only did she break Internet Rule #1: Don't feed the trolls by addressing Milo himself but then she started retweeting his troll followers. Once that happens the other creeps just smell blood in the water. She obviously thought she was putting people on blast but a retweet from a celebrity to a troll is just a massive reward. I'm not trying to imply she brought this on herself, I just don't think she understood what was happening. Again it sucks no one close to her stopped her when she started RTing people.

FTank and Kizwiz like this.