Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taking Back Sunday Not Pleased With Emo Night

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Steve Baltin, writing for Billboard, on the feud between Taking Back Sunday’s Adam Lazarra and the emo night party formerly called “Taking Back Tuesday”:

“Those motherf—ers owe me some money. They’re using our name, they didn’t ask,” he tells Billboard. “It’s flattering, I get it. But also, I don’t want to become a parody of something I take real seriously. That’s the line that those people are walking. They need to understand that they’ve got to take care with that sh–. You don’t make shirts that say, ‘Sad as f—.’ Like you’re making a f—ing joke out of it? F— you.’”

The event organizers have responded:

It is unfortunate that Adam feels so much animosity towards a night created to celebrate and support the genre of music that continues to embrace his band. Our events have brought together like-minded people who have become a family that support each other. In regards to the financial compensation, what began as Taking Back Tuesday (We never once used the name ‘Taking Back Sunday’) turned into Emo Nite in a full rebrand in 2016… We have always respected and been fans of this genre and will continue to support it. If Adam ever wants to come experience the event for himself, we’re positive he’d have a different opinion and we’d welcome him with open arms. And, at the end of the day, the night was meant for everyone to just have a great time.

I wonder if Sonny Curtis thinks Taking Back Sunday owes him some money for their take on “I Fought the Law”?

2. schackbr

Regular

someone in the TBS thread said that he mentioned something at a recent show and it was very obviously in jest. think this potentially may have been taken out of context.

the part about him thinking they are making a joke out of it, not so much.

"at the show he made a joke about Taking Back Tuesday profiting off the band, but it was completely obviously in jest. He then said how amazing it is that it exists and the nostalgia makes them feel amazing" - @irthesteve

3. From the article: "he tells Billboard."

He spoke with Billboard, this wasn't at a show.

4. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah, and the organizers of 'Taking Back Tuesday' said they had a 'rather unpleasant' exchange with Adam when they met.

5. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Adam is a dick anyways. Easily one of the most unlikeable frontmen there is. The whole TBS Oral History in alternative press a few years ago really highlighted how petty these guys are. And nothing he has said or done since has changed that

6. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Adam should start a band with Tom Delonge.

7. schackbr

Regular

that sucks. the girl who runs it has been tweeting times TBS mentioned it too. which is even more odd.

Aaron Mook and Arry like this.
  8. emt0853

Trusted Supporter

I just looked at EmoNite's FB...the video on the left side of the screen is an a cappella group called "The Treble and God Are Raging Inside Me" covering "Helena" by MCR. Think Jesse will throw a fit? Hahah. jk.;-p

coleslawed, CMilliken and beachdude42 like this.
  9. Woohoo!

Regular

I haven't seen a whole lot of evidence that the event organizers have tried to parody TBS or "Emo" music. I have seen a lot of evidence that half the members of TBS get angry over some really small shit. When I read the "Complete Oral History of TBS" a few years ago it made it obvious that Adam, Mark and Eddie are all overly sensitive and somewhat bitter people. Adam needs to take a damn chill pill.

10. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

This is so shitty. The name was a cute pun and they've changed it since. The fact that he's insinuating they should pay him for it -- which has zero legal basis since they didn't use the TBS name -- is so petty. It's even worse if he's still bringing it up at shows! He already talked to Billboard about it and they don't even use that name anymore. He needs to chill.

11. Didn't they lift the name "Taking Back Sunday" from another band

12. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

So Adam owns Taking Back followed by every night of the week? Interesting....

13. SoundwaveUproar Jul 19, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 19, 2016)
    SoundwaveUproar

Regular Prestigious

I wish I found a bar that did emo night. Closest I ever got was doing a karaoke cover of thrash unreal that scared the bar shitless ha

14. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I don't know this to be fact, but I think it's just Adam. Adam often seems way too cool for school or thinks as himself as more of a 'rockstar'. I've met John, Eddie and Mark before, and those three seem like real, laid back kind of guys. I could be wrong as they've all been brief instances but to me it seems like none of those three have the ego or entitlement that Adam seems to sometimes have. I live in Cleveland and see Eddie from time to time downtown (he lives in Sandusky) or at shows around Northeast Ohio. He always seems pretty chill and down to earth. Mark follows me on Twitter (I think he follows thousands of fans) and he's tweeted at me a few times genuinely thanking me for my support even if I didn't @ him. I've seen John's solo shows a few times where he walks around and talks to fans, seems genuinely thankful for fans' support.

I'll also say, in recent years, it seems like Adam has kind of calmed from his asshole kind of ways, but yeah, this article is not a good look.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  15. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Damn and I was really looking forward to Taking Back Wednesday....

16. schackbr

Regular

i think anyone can be seen as a "dick." i have friends that have met him dozens upon dozens of times and he's been nothing but gracious and kind to them (guest listing, taking photos, spending time with them after shows, etc).

but yeah, it's a bad quote and not something anyone should really be mad about. doesn't make much sense at all. i was just in LA and was really bummed i missed emo nite.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  17. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

I went to Taking Back Tuesday when it was in Seattle. Being in a bar with drunk af adults singing hands down word for word was really, really fun. Adam needs to chill.

18. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

19. goation

Regular

This will take away from my enjoyment of their new record absolutely zero. I don't really care if Adam is a dick or not. His music is great. Also, why is it so hard for TBS to distance themselves from emo? Their last full emo record was in 2004, they've been a strict alt rock band for the last 6 or 7 years.

Also, I thought he made it pretty clear that he hated Emo nite on Shane Told's podcast a while ago. Why is it just now getting attention?

AshlandATeam likes this.
  20. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Yeah after reading this article, it's way different from what I saw/heard at the show. Pretty bummed, I truly thought on stage he was just joking around

21. Raj710

Reading this thread with absolutely no prior knowledge about the situation I went from thinking I was wrong about TBS's band name all my life to genuinely interested in going to these dope sounding Emo Nights.

What a emotional rollercoaster I think its time for a nap

22. kidinthebushes

Trusted

I am on Adam's side mainly because I'm salty about emo night not being in Chicago.

23. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Man, Adam and TBS suck.

Aaron Mook, beachdude42 and fenway89 like this.
  24. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Essie likes this.
  25. kidinthebushes

Trusted

I did know about this. I thought this was put on by another company for some reason.