Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Surprisingly Interesting Story Behind the Filet-O-Fish

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Karl Smallwood, at Today I Found Out:

According to McDonald’s executives, approximately 23% of the Filet-O-Fish sandwiches sold by the chain each year are sold during Lent. While the exact rules vary somewhat from region to region, in general, Catholics traditionally abstain from eating most meats on Fridays and Saturdays during this period. In some regions, the requirement is even that members of the Church avoid non-seafood meat on every single Friday of the year.

2. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Worked at Burger King, this is very much a thing.

3. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Up until about a year ago, I had no idea McDonald's sold the Filet-O-Fish sandwich year-round. I always thought it was just a Lent thing because it's the only time I saw ads for it.

4. josh.

I was definitely brought up being taught that this was a thing. It's like how many restaurants will have clam chowder on Fridays.

5. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Gimme dat meat.

6. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

If you didn't already know this I fear you've been hiding under a rock lol

7. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I can't wait to see Michael Keaton play Ray Kroc later this year. Dude is on a roll, and I feel like this is gonna be the one that takes him over the top.