Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Panic! at the Disco/Weezer/Andrew McMahon in Camden, NJ

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Panic! at the Disco’s summer co-headlining tour with Weezer (and featuring support from Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness), rolled through Camden, NJ’s BB&T Pavilion last week. Below you can find a gallery of all three bands on the tour as well as some brief thoughts on the show. This tour is one of the premiere concert experiences North America has to offer this summer, so if this tour hasn’t hit your hometown yet (it runs through August 6th in Irvine, CA), make sure you don’t miss it.

Andrew McMahon kicked things off and I feel like I’ve written so much about what his songwriting means to me, I don’t need to write too much more. Simply put, he is one of the very best active songwriters and it is an absolute honor to watch him perform each time I get an opportunity. His new song, “Fire Escape,” which he has been debuting on this tour, seems like a fantastic continuation of everything I adored on the debut full-length from his “in the Wilderness” project, and I can’t wait for the follow-up.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I have admittedly not gone back to Panic! at the Disco’s more recent material, including this year’s Death of a Bachelor, as much as I do A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out (which I recently put back in my car) or the tremendously underrated Vices and Virtues. But this performance essentially proved to me why the band is bigger than ever, and all of their success (including a number one album on the Hot 100) is completely deserved. It was a dynamic performance from start, with vocalist Brendon Urie seemingly appearing out of nowhere out of a cloud of smoke while the B52s-inspired main riff of “Don’t Threaten Me With a Good Time” swirls around him. And the finish, a rousing rendition of Death of a Bachelor single “Victorious,” features his second backflip of the performance. Urie is a confident showman, a captivating presence who recalls both Freddie Mercury (especially in his commanding, if admittedly safely note-for-note, cover of “Bohemian Rhapsody”) and a leather-clad Bret Michaels — or some other 80s glam metal exemplar. It has been consistently interesting to see Urie eschew his connections to the mid-2000s emo movement, delve deeper and deeper into the pop-icon lexicon, and I’m excited to see what his brain cooks up as he travels further down that rabbit hole.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The night was not over after Panic’s performance. Weezer are staples of the genre for a reason. As Urie noted just prior to the end of his set, Weezer’s loner-punk pathos was the genesis for him wanting to make music after he bought (nay, stole from his sister) Weezer’s Blue Album. And it’s not hard to see why that kind of legacy, that desire to want to create and mold your world through music, seems to come through so vividly in those who listen to Weezer’s music. There’s a certain joyous irreverence that I’ve always found really freeing about songs like “Surf Wax America,” which turned up in this set in the form of a stellar medley which combined new and old songs into one seamless entity which had a person near me asking me if this was a new Weezer song. And, there’s a kind of “us against the world” sparkle to a song like “Only in Dreams.” The song builds, and then craters, and then builds back up again, to when it finally makes you feel like you’ve climbed to the mountain top. How fitting that it was combined with “King of The World,” a song whose refrain I could imagine screaming along to from the peak of that very mountain.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

So bummed this show didn't come in or around the Cleveland area. Closest show was Pittsburgh but the show was on July 3 - and I already had tickets/hotel for Brand New/Modest Mouse on July 5 and it would have been too hectic to go back and forth two times in three days - especially with the holiday in between the two days.

I've seen Panic twice in the past few years and they seem to keep getting better live. Brendan's voice live is really something, didn't always used to be that way. Haven't seen Weezer since 2005 :(

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  3. Thursdaysox

We know it from the silence

Yeah this show was a blast in MA. Panic sound better than ever, and Weezer are always on point. Honestly, I would have rather gone to this show twice than the underwhelming BN / MM I went to last friday. There, I said it.

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  4. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

May I ask why you thought the BN/MM shows was underwhelming?

I thought the show in Pittsburgh was great. My eighth time seeing Brand New and couldn't have been happier with their set, and that was with technical issues (they started 20 minutes late and cut 3 songs from the set because of it).

It was my first time seeing Modest Mouse. Had been waiting to see them for 16+ years and was worried because I know their setlist can be all over the place but I couldn't have been happier with their set too. Closed with Spitting Venom, which is probably my all-time MM fave.

5. Thursdaysox

We know it from the silence

I've seen Brand New a million times, and it was easily the weakest performance I've seen them give. It could have been the amphitheater setting not doing them any favors (it was still light out when they finished up, they usually have awesome lighting), or the setlist just not being the greatest, probably both. And it was my first time seeing MM too, and it's probably my fault partially for only knowing a couple discs from them, but they only sounded OK in addition to me only recognizing a couple songs. My buddy that came with me loves them though, and he too was underwhelmed. Not saying the show was bad by any means, I just had an absolute blast at the PATD / Weezer show.

6. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I agree with you about Brand New's lighting. Can't imagine seeing them in daylight. Probably takes away from the overall feel and atmosphere of their show. Luckily, they headlined the show I was at, so it was dark the whole way through and Pittsburgh's venue was absolutely beautiful. No amphitheater or anything. Just all outside in the open with the overlook of the city and everything.

I really enjoyed their set. Nothing I haven't seen before a handful of times (Although I did see them play Soco and Noro just for the 2nd time ever personally), but their energy was great, the crowd was awesome and maybe it was something about knowing that the band is really winding down soon that made it pretty special for me.

I personally loved Modest Mouse's set as well, but the crowd didn't seem much into them, which was odd. I thought this was the perfect pairing for a tour, but I've heard a lot of shows where people are saying the crowds weren't much into MM. I've been a big time fan of MM for 16+ years so it was special to see them. They were like the last band on 'my list' to see live as I've pretty much seen anyone I've ever wanted to see live over the past 16 years or so. I was not disappointed.

7. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I wonder if Weezer played any Pinkerton songs but the answer is probably no lol.

8. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

They've been playing El Scorcho and a pretty significant snippet of The Good Life (as part of a medley the do with two songs from Maladroit, Back to the Shack, and Surf Wax America) but that's it from Pinkerton.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  9. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

I could have sworn they did "Tired of Sex" too, no?

10. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

They did on some dates of this tour. But on the Camden, NJ date they didn't.

11. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Forever my favorite record from them :tear:

12. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I'm just so excited to see Panic! with a horn section. There usually isn't one specific reason why I'm looking forward to a show but that's it. That's my reason.

13. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

They were really great. Used fairly sparingly (probably for 4-5 songs throughout the 16ish song set) but when they were used it added a lot to the songs and the performance energy

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  14. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

That sounds perfect. I love a good balance.