Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182 Live at iHeartRadio Theatre

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. jorbjorb

7 rings

nice

3. kidinthebushes Jul 7, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 7, 2016)
    kidinthebushes

Trusted

I saw them on Tuesday at Summerfest in Milwaukee. All Time Low and Direct Hit! opened. So good. Minus a few mishaps, Matt was great. I can't want to see them again later this year.

4. dp619

Regular Supporter

Was hoping we would see more stuff on the new record, but looks like this was taped before CA came out. Really really hope they include newer songs on the summer tour setlist

5. kidinthebushes

Trusted

Bored to Death is the only new song they have been playing live (besides Built This Pool and Brohemian Rhapsody).

6. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

Honest question: why don't they just tune their instruments down 1 or 2 half steps so it doesn't sound like they're straining super hard to hit the notes?

House Of Wolves likes this.
  7. Matt_P

Regular

What My Age Again: 0:32 - 2:55
    Interview: 2:56 - 6:05
    Rock Show: 6:06 - 8:40
    Interview: 8:41 - 11:07
    I Miss You: 11:10 - 15:35
    Bored to Death: 15:52 - 19:42
    Interview: 19:43 - 23:42
    Wendy Clear: 23:45 - 26:32
    All The Small Things: 26:48 - 29:40
    Feeling This: 30:13 - 33:12
    Up All Night: 33:33 - 36:50
    Dumpweed: 37:10 - 39:40
    Down: 39:58 - 43:10
    Always: 43:30 - 47:32
    Violence: 47:44 - 51:40
    Carousel: 52:00 - 54:51
    Damnit: 55:09 - 58:12

8. Ryan Hayden

you have the right idea, but they have backing tracks that play along with them live that would also have to be pitched down. they wouldn't so much have to tune their guitars down as they should just entirely play the song in a lower key. probably in B OR Bflat.

mescalineeyes likes this.
  9. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

I mean, I understand that there's a little more work involved, but at this point I mean I don't know what it's like when you're there, but these recordings are PAINFUL to listen to, especially if you love these guys as much as I do.

Anyway, thank you for clearing that up for me! :)

10. DooDooBird

Trusted

How much crystal meth and speed has this host done?

11. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

I honestly think Los Angeles will be a hit for them if they start playing that live before they send it to radio.

12. Wendy Clear sounded awesome

Woohoo! likes this.
  13. heymattrick

Sending my love

Listening to this new album was definitely interesting for me. My immediate thought after was "great songs but which are the 3 or 4 they will actually play live?" Blink is one of those bands that listening to their new material for me is hard because I hate growing attached to songs that bands will never play live (cough The Used cough). They tweeted the other day "can't wait to play our new record for you this summer", and you would think with Matt being in the band they would want to play more newer material...I'm just not holding my breath.

14. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Agree. BTD has consistently been the worst sounding song live. They just can't hit that key vocally.

15. dp619

Regular Supporter

I get that, but their summer tour with ADTR, AAR/ATL also hasn't started. Hoping to see a few more new songs on that.

16. AutopilotYears Jul 7, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 7, 2016)
    AutopilotYears

Regular

yeah recording BTD in that key was a mistake because its outside of their vocal ranges, they're never gonna be able to pull it off live. they sound good on all the old stuff though.... minus Skiba totally butchering the What's My Age Again intro hahah

17. spencpants

Can I pet your dog? Prestigious

Matt sounds great in Tom's place; Mark, and to a lesser extent Matt, sounded winded in some of the earlier songs during the set, but I'm also attributing that to the mix being kind of wonky during parts of the video - putting the vocals well above any instrumentation.

18. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Matt sounds so, SO good on this.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  19. rushlinburg

So, is the intro to What's My Age Again just an impossible to play live for the band? Haha, I've noticed Matt mess it up on many counts and Tom did as well.

20. Dlmgmario

Not really honestly, it's just consistency. I love Matts vocals but when he's playing the old stuff live he should really try harder to not mess up. I'm sure Tom won't appreciate Matt messing with the legacy of Blink like that.

21. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

....Matt is literally trying harder live than Tom did 100% of the time.

22. Dlmgmario

More than trying harder I think he's just playing way more cleaner and sticking to what was played on the records. Maybe Tom felt like he didn't need to try as hard to play clean (not tone wise but like messing up). Idk theres some videos out there of Matt playing what's my age again or I Miss You and it just feels like he didn't practice them enough on the guitar. Tom could play and improvise all he wants but he was usually pretty in the pocket when it came to timing.

23. mdrummer88

tom looks like he wants to be there

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  24. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

There also has to be a ridiculous amount of pressure on the guy. I chalk it up to nerves but yeah he's not going to take too many liberties with the songs as far as straying from the record. If anything he's probably trying too hard to play things perfectly. He does only have like ten or so blink shows under his belt. It can't be a breeze when you know every single thing you do will be compared to a pretty important part of blink. I'm sure he'll only get more comfortable and better as the tour goes on.

25. AshlandATeam

Trusted

From Bored to Death on, Matt is note for note perfect, both playing and singing. Dumpweed, Violence, Always, Down, Carousel - they all sound perfect.

The opening to What's My Age Again Had a sour note or two. But the body of work on the whole show was better than any live video of Tom I've ever seen. Heck, it sounded better than the live album where they went in and cleaned stuff up.

Dan O'Neill and slimfenix182 like this.