Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Best of 2016 … So Far (Encore Episode 127)

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

This week’s episode of Encore looks at our favorite albums so far from 2016. Next week we’ll be posting our contributor and moderator list feature, but, before that you can hear your favorite podcast hosts explain what albums they like the best and how they came up with their very scientific lists. We also talk about beer, the NBA finals, Yellowcard saying goodbye, Paramore, Every Time I Die, Eisley, and a little about Blink-182 (but expect much more on that album in the next episode).

We’d love to hear what albums you’ve been enjoying this year as well, so please hit the the little quote bubble to join us in the forums and let us know. Also, feel free to leave any questions you’d like us to tackle in future episodes. Thanks to everyone who listens.

Sponsor

The Sound and The Story: The Sound and the Story is a podcast that dives deep on albums, songs, and the music in an attempt to untangle it all. New episodes come out each month and explore one album in detail. The latest episode is all about Death Cab For Cutie’s ‘Transatlanticism’ – check it out in iTunes right now.

Hosts + More

Show Notes

Jason’s list:

1. The 1975 – I like it when you sleep
    2. The Hotelier – Goodness
    3. Sturgill Simpson – A Sailor’s Guide to Earth
    4. Pinegrove – Cardinal
    5. Direct Hit – Wasted Mind
    6. Blink-182 – California
    7. PUP – The Dream is Over
    8. Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool
    9. Daughter – Not To Disappear
    10. Ariana Grande – Dangerous Woman
    Thomas’s list:

1. Modern Baseball – Holy Ghost
    2. Pinegrove – Cardinal
    3. PUP – The Dream Is Over
    4. Chance The Rapper – Coloring Book
    5. The Hotelier – Goodness
    6. Parker Millsap – The Very Last Day
    7. Kanye West – The Life of Pablo
    8. JANK – Awkward Pop Songs
    • We discuss why we make these lists, whether mid-year lists are actually useful, how hard we think about these things, etc., and ask each other about certain inclusions on our lists.
    • JT Recommends: New Direct Hit! album, OJ Simpson documentary on ESPN, Zootopia.
    • TN Recommends: A few podcasts — Recode Replay (really enjoyed the ones with Jack Dorsey and DeRay McKesson, Sundar Pichai, Mark Fields, Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk), Reply All’s “On The Inside” multi-part story, StartUp’s “From The Cell to the Sell” multi-part story, and also I’ve been enjoying the Star Wars trade paperback comic book collections more than expected.
    Subscribe

You can subscribe to this podcast in iTunes, via any podcast player using our RSS feed, on SoundCloud, via Overcast, in Google Play, or on Stitcher. You can also find all of our previous episodes archived on our podcast page, iTunes, or on SoundCloud.

If you have any follow-up, questions, or a topic you’d like us to cover on a future episode, please send a tweet using the hashtag #askEncore. If you’d like to follow this podcast on Twitter we are at @encorepodcast. We love hearing from listeners and are always looking for topics both big and small to tackle. So, let us know!

If you like the podcast, could you please rate and review us on iTunes? It really does help. If you’re using the great podcast player Overcast, please hit the “recommended” button on the episodes you like. And if you have any friends that you think would like our podcast, please let them know! Word of mouth and telling people about this podcast will always be the best thing you can do to help us out. We really appreciate it.

Information about sponsoring our podcast can be found on this page, and if you become a member you get episodes a day early along with a bunch of other perks.

2. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

Try as I might, but i just can't seem to get sick or tired of The Hotelier

3. Anthony_ Jul 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 1, 2016)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Already posted this in another thread but:

1. California - blink-182
    2. Goodness - The Hotelier
    3. The Home Inside My Head - Real Friends
    4. Along the Shadow - Saosin
    5. Holy Ghost - Modern Baseball
    6. Okay - Dowsing
    7. Painkillers - Brian Fallon
    8. The White Album - Weezer
    9. First Day Back - Somos
    10. Celebrate - Tiny Moving Parts

I recognize that California may not be the technically best album, and I recognize that its place may very well lower in the near future, but for right now I love the hell out of it.

4. ncarrab Jul 1, 2016
    ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Can't believe New Belgium just made its way to New York...Been drinking New Belgium beers for years here in Cleveland. Their seasonal Trippel and Accumulation are my favorites.

Speaking of Cleveland, yes, the championship meant more to this city than the rest of the country could possibly understand. 1.3 million people downtown for the parade. The entire region was shut down. Hell, I even took my wife and our 21-month-old to the airport (along with 10,000 others) to welcome the team back when they landed the morning after the game. Such a surreal week/month in Cleveland. Truly one of the best experiences of my life between being downtown for Game 7, the airport then the parade.

5. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I didn't know Dowsing has a new album out. Awesome.

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  6. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

A few things:

Got some chuckles out of @Thomas Nassiff's hate for the "In Bloom" cover. I like it. It's probably my least favorite song on the record, but that's mostly because I think he's such a good songwriter and I'd rather hear his original stuff. That album is my number two.

@Jason Tate, you would definitely enjoy Millsap. His record is my album of the year. Unbelievable voice, and a few moments that remind me of Gundersen, though he's a bit bluesier. Definitely recommended. Also, if you were to rank that Butch Walker record, where would it be on your list?

I am a bit surprised how little either of you care for the Fallon record. Seeing those songs live a few days ago really made me appreciate them more. I don't think it's his best, but I don't think it's on a lower tier than most of his previous records either.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  7. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

thomas jank came out last year

8. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

1. Hotelier - Goodness
    2. Deftones - Gore
    3. Pinegrove - Cardinal
    4. Modern Baseball - Holy Ghost
    5. 1975 - I like it when you are sleeping, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware
    6. Into It. Over It. - Standards
    7. Future - EVOL
    8. Frightened Rabbit - Painting of a Panic Attack
    9. Pity Sex - White Hot Moon
    10. Kanye West - The Life of Pablo

Maybe I need to give Pup another listen.

9. bloodinthesand

Regular

1. Thrice
    2. Deftones
    3. Architects
    4. Emarosa
    5. Nails
    6. Saosin
    7. Hands like houses
    8. Plaid
    9. Gojira
    10. Bear tooth

There is a long ways to go

Cameron and NotBruce like this.
  10. inagreendase

1. Daughter - Not to Disappear
    2. White Lung - Paradise
    3. Nothing - Tired of Tomorrow
    4. Gates - Parallel Lives
    5. Thrice - To Be Everywhere...
    6. Somos - First Day Back
    7. Nails - You Will Never Be One of Us
    8. O'Brother - Endless Light
    9. Silver Snakes - Saboteur
    10. Dowsing

& Best EP so far: Turnover's Humblest Pleasures

trevorshmevor likes this.
  11. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Also, this is probably one of the most balanced years ever in terms of high-profile releases. Everyone, we are still looking forward to:

Bouncing Souls
    Descendents
    Brand New
    Taking Back Sunday
    Bayside
    Against Me!
    Jimmy Eat World (possibly)
    Yellowcard
    The Menzingers
    Moose Blood

Going to be a crazy back half of the year.

kpatrickwood and JRGComedy like this.
  12. NotBruce

Regular

My man.

13. Steve_JustAGuy Jul 1, 2016
    Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Parquet Courts probably has put out my favorite album this year.

EDIT: Now that I've thought about it more, Bowie's album is simply fantastic as well.

partyscene likes this.
  14. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

I'm a Warriors fan, and my wife was wondering why I wasn't devastated after the loss, and my answer was 'Because Cleveland deserved it, and Lebron just became the closest thing to Jordan I've ever seen.' Most satisfying loss I've ever had :)

15. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

16. kylethrash

Everyone should listen to Camp Cope

17. SoundwaveUproar

Regular Prestigious

1) Thrice - To Be Everywhere Is To Be Nowhere
    2) Brian Fallon - Painkillers
    3) Gates - Parallel Lives
    4) Emarosa - 131
    5) Frightened Rabbit - Painting Of A Panic Attack (expecting this to jump up a lot)
    6) Pup - The Dream Is Over
    7) Saosin - Along the Shadow
    8) David Bowie - Blackstar
    9) Letlive - If I'm the Devil
    10) Sturgill Simpson - A Painter's Guide to Earth
    11) The 1975 - I Like It When You Sleep

bonus EP
    Aaron West - Bittersweet

Honestly, great year for music across the board. Looking forward to new Taking Back Sunday, Yellowcard, and The Head and The Heart.

18. SweetThye

@sweetthye

• Thrice- To Be Everywhere Is To Be Nowhere
    • Hail the Sun- Culture Scars
    • Radiohead- A Moon Shaped Pool
    • Secret Space- The Window Room
    • Gates- Parallel Lives
    • Sherwood- Some Things Never Leave You
    • Little Tybee- Little Tybee
    • The Hotelier- Goodness
    • PUP- The Dream is Over
    • Tiny Moving Parts- Celebrate
    • Polyenso- Pure in the Plastic
    • O’Brother- Endless Light
    • Into It. Over It.- Standards
    • Pinegrove- Cardinal
    • Wet- Don’t You
    • Rome Hero Foxes- For When You’re Falling Backwards
    • Basement- Promise Everything
    • Daughter- Not To Disapperar
    • Silent Planet- Everything Was Sound

These are all the candidates currently in no order. Will most likely be adding Emarosa to this list. Hoping to add Yellowcard and Jimmy Eat World.

trevorshmevor and Chase Tremaine like this.
  19. SweetThye

@sweetthye

I think a lot of people are forgetting about O'Brother and IIOI because they were earlier in the year. Both of those releases were flawless.

20. rst

Regular

Curious whether Life of Pablo was left off because the album wasn't good enough for top 10 or because he can be a shitty person?

21. Gooddayz

always and forever

Hail the Sun finally on Spotify, so I'm excited to finally give it a listen. I've heard good things about it.

Anyways though how you know about Rome Hero Foxes?! I love their new album! Didn't expect to see that on anybody's list.

22. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Albums

1. Brian Fallon - Painkillers
    2. The Hotelier - Goodness
    3. YG - Still Brazy
    4. Tiny Moving Parts - Celebrate
    5. God's Hate - Mass Murder
    6. Dance Gavin Dance - Tree City Sessions
    7. Landscapes - Modern Earth
    8. Tegan and Sara - Love You to Death
    9. Angel Du$t - Rock The Fuck On Forever
    10. Worship This! - Mint
    11. The Ship Thieves - No Anchor
    12. Thrice - To Be Everywhere Is To Be Nowhere
    13. Modern Baseball - Holy Ghost
    14. PUP - The Dream Is Over
    15. Hesitation Wounds - Awake For Everything

EPs

1. Creeper - The Stranger
    2. G.L.O.S.S. - Trans Day Of Revenge
    3. Aaron West and the Roaring Twenties - Bittersweet
    4. Grader - Wholly
    5. Terrible Love - Change Nothing
    6. Stars Hollow - I'm Really Not That Upset About It
    7. Life Moves On - Remedy

Year has been great so far

23. SweetThye

@sweetthye

I follow Kurt Travis' record label and saw him promoting them. They're the future. So far, Hail the Sun's record is my number 2 behind Thrice.

24. kpatrickwood Jul 1, 2016
    kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

1. Mount Moriah- Learn To Dance
    2. Direct Hit- Wasted Mind
    3. Sturgill Simpson- A Sailor's Guide To Earth
    4. Frightened Rabbit- Painting of Panic Attack
    5. Brian Fallon- Painkillers
    6. Aesop Rock- The Impossible Kid
    7. Mogwai- Atomic
    8. Pup- The Dream Is Over

Andddd that's about everything that has really stuck with me this year. Stoked for the absurdly stacked second half.

25. Gooddayz

always and forever

Oh that's awesome man. I'm glad you came across them. They're actually a local band from my city, Houston. I saw them live last year and was impressed, but after I heard their new album I was blown away. Hunter is probably my favorite song of the year so far. Amazing album

Yeah man you had a great list. Thrice, Radiohead, Sherwood, Polyenso and O'Brother are among my favs as well