Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Why LaCroix is Suddenly Everywhere

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Libby Nelson and Javier Zarracina, writing for Vox:

LaCroix isn’t the only brand to benefit from the sparkling water boom. But it’s the one that’s risen to the coveted status of lifestyle brand, not just generating loyalty but becoming part of how we define ourselves. The secret behind LaCroix’s rise is a mix of old-fashioned business strategy and cutting-edge social marketing. When Americans wanted carbonated water, LaCroix was positioned to give them them fizzy water. Then, sometimes by accident, LaCroix developed fans among mommy bloggers, Paleo eaters, and Los Angeles writers who together pushed LaCroix into the zeitgeist.

When I’m working on the computer I need something to drink nearby.1 About a year ago, I made it a priority to remove (as much as I could) sugar from my diet, and picked up the habit of drinking sparkling water almost every day. I didn’t know it had become a trend. I feel so fashionable.

1. I’ve long joked I can tell what time of day it is by what I am drinking; progressing from coffee to sparkling water to beer.

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

gotta say, I've never heard of whatever this is

3. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

Gimme that coconut la croix.

4. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I used to hate sparkling water, but there's always La Croix in the fridge at work so I drink it all the time now.

5. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Gross. That stuff tastes like sunscreen.

Anticitizen7 and coleslawed like this.
  6. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Is it ? My aunts had LaCroix around since I was little, I really didn't know this was a trend

7. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

Never tried sunscreen so I can't speak to that, but I'm surprised to hear that sunscreen is so delicious!

Carmensaopaulo and Jason Tate like this.
  8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This is clearly all because of Joe Mande, right?

I Am Mick likes this.
  9. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Been a sparkling water addict for years now. LaCroix is heavenly and deserves all the popularity it's gotten and then some.

10. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Only flavored/sparkling water I could get into was (I think) Aquafina, I used to get it every day in highschool and it was unbelievable. And then they stopped making it or changed the recipe and it sucks. Everything I've tried is a hint of flavor in a bunch of bitter water. So bummed.

LaCroix made me sick last time I tried.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  11. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

LaCroix is no joke all but synonymous with the term 'water' in Minneapolis.

12. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

Can't get around the metal taste of the can. So much better if you pour it into a cup.

13. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Oddly started noticing this in Audiotree sessions lol

14. SeeTheLights

Trusted Prestigious

Can't stand the taste of sparking water. Seems like a lot of people buy LaCroix when I'm cashiering at work

15. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

The store I work at recently went from having a small, one wide facing of LaCroix to having a whole shelf, so it's picking up here at least.

16. Rico Suave

Will LaCroix appear at The Fest in October?

Jason Tate likes this.
  17. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

omg i was wondering why the hell this was everywhere now. hipsters love this shit

18. transrebel59

Regular

This has a massive following amongst recovering alcoholics.

19. Liz

Ew, David

The coconut one is the only one I've tried & it tastes like sour milk

20. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Haha- my gf and I had a conversation about this exact phenomenon a couple of days ago. She was telling me how she'd tried it because she'd been seeing it everywhere and was bummed out because she thought it was gross. She figured it was (sugary/fruity) flavored water, and was disappointed to find out it was essentially a fruit-tinged club soda. The conclusion we came to about it's popularity was that the cans are essentially the new Starbucks cup. Glad we have an article to back that up now.

21. Yep

22. obermann512

Here in Waukesha, Wisconsin (20 minutes west of Milwaukee) my store has a 4 foot section, one end cap and 4 pallet drops of la croix. Probably go through about 30-50 cases (2-12 packs) during the weekdays and damn near 100 cases on the weekends. (May or may not include gas station owners buying bulk for their stores)

23. palewhiteboy88

Regular Supporter

This stuff just replaced the Dasani brand sparkling water they sell at my work

24. This stuff has infiltrated my office.

25. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

I like the Pineapple Dasani sparkling water