Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

180 Artists Sign Petition For Digital Copyright Reform

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Rob Levine, writing for Billboard, on how 180 musicians have signed a petition to close some of the loopholes from the DMCA:

In an ad that will run Tuesday through Thursday in the Washington DC magazines Politico, The Hill, and Roll Call, 180 performers and songwriters are calling for reform of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which regulates copyright online. A range of big names from every genre signed the ad — from Taylor Swift to Sir Paul McCartney, Vince Gill to Vince Staples, Carole King to the Kings of Leon — as did 19 organizations and companies, including the major labels.

I think this is good, but also hope they don’t go too far in the other direction. As someone that runs a forum where anyone can sign up and create an account, some of the safe harbor protections of the DMCA make a forum of that size possible.

2. Mike

I personally think they're fighting in the wrong direction and a much bigger problem are the major labels/record deals (not to say that YouTube is not an issue) but that's just my opinion