Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

R.I.P. Muhammad Ali (1942-2016)

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Muhammad Ali has passed away. He was 74. From the Washington Post:

Muhammad Ali, the charismatic three-time heavyweight boxing champion of the world and Olympic gold medalist who transcended the world of sports to become a symbol of the antiwar movement of the 1960s and ultimately a global ambassador for cross-cultural understanding, died Friday night at a hospital in Phoenix, where he was living.

2. Luroda

Consistently Lurking

Man... :tear:

3. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

It's one thing to be a champion in a sport and be respected for it, it's another thing to also be a champion of the people. This is a loss of a true legend.

thecobrakais, Schooner and bd007h like this.
  4. MrRobot

Twitter/IG: @scott325

Ali is the single most important athlete in American history and it has little to do with any actual sport. He gave up the prime of his career and millions of dollars based on a purely moral stance, as a black Muslim in civil rights era America, and died an American icon.

Sports have changed, and a lot of other things in the country have changed, but it's hard to think there will be another athlete who has the kind of impact outside of sports, when it comes to actual meaningful things in the world, like Ali did.

5. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

A terrible loss for not only the sports world, but for the world in general. RIP

It's amazing he lived as long as he did.

6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

RIP

7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Awful, awful news. The only poster I have in my classroom is of Ali.

8. 2016 is been a real god damn shit with this stuff.

9. TedSchmosby

Trusted

So upsetting to hear. In fourth grade, my class put on a Christmas play and I was insistent that the teacher not only write Muhammad Ali into the play, but cast me in the role because fuck it, it's Muhammad Ali.

collin512 likes this.
  10. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

We are losing way too many legends this year

11. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

more than a legend; one of the rare few that becomes an icon for all of sport. R.I.P.

beachdude42 and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  12. jellyfishfossil

Regular

One of the greats among combat sports. RIP

13. jorbjorb

7 rings

Greatest. Rip

14. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

15. atlas

Trusted

Don't let people & the media reduce your view of this man to a motivational quote factory. He's one of the most important civil rights figures ever (that just happened to be the greatest boxer in the world by far). Legend

Serh likes this.
  16. Jake Z

Regular

My hometown legend. This really sucks. But his impact will live on forever. RIP Champ.

17. ansonyuhas

There is no other athlete like him.

18. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Man this dude is a legend. Very sad to hear

19. Collins

Trusted

"“I ain’t draft dodging. I ain’t burning no flag. I ain’t running to Canada. I’m staying right here. You want to send me to jail? Fine, you go right ahead. I’ve been in jail for 400 years. I could be there for 4 or 5 more, but I ain’t going no 10,000 miles to help murder and kill other poor people. If I want to die, I’ll die right here, right now, fightin’ you, if I want to die. You my enemy, not no Chinese, no Vietcong, no Japanese. You my opposer when I want freedom. You my opposer when I want justice. You my opposer when I want equality. Want me to go somewhere and fight for you? You won’t even stand up for me right here in America, for my rights and my religious beliefs. You won’t even stand up for my rights here at home.”

20. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Ali's transcending mere sport and becoming a figure of strength and defiance in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds is something that a lot of people alive today (myself included) have taken for granted. The man was more than a man, more than a champion, more than a legend, even. There is no word for what Ali was. Titan, maybe. I don't even think that does him justice. His words will live on forever, as (hopefully) will his message. It's up to every on of us to see that it does.

21. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Until his death, I don't think I really grasped how influential he was outside of sports. What a loss. RIP.