Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Envy on the Coast of More Drama

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Dan, Sal, and Jer, formerly of Envy on the Coast, have released a second statement about the Envy on the Coast “reunion.”

Dear Envy On The Coast fans, For six years we’ve looked the other way while a skewed picture has been painted to the public. After all that has been going on recently surrounding this band, you deserve to know the truth about why we broke up in the first place, why the three of us are not taking part in this alleged “reincarnation,” and sadly, why we will never truly reunite. In 2009, Envy On The Coast began to unravel from the inside out. Certain events transpired that irreversibly damaged the interpersonal relationships among band members. The fallout from these occurrences was impossible to undo, and not only had a dramatic effect on the creative process, but also created a clear division of “sides” among band members. The environment eventually became so unbearably toxic that it caused the band to split, thus giving way to a six-year gap in communication between several pairs of members. What you guys don’t know is that at one point, the recent reunion discussions did actually involve all five original members coming together to do a handful of shows. When we got to discussing specifics, however, we hit a wall. There is a small batch of songs on Lowcountry that directly allude to the period of time when internal band relations were at their absolute, indisputable worst. The three of us requested that those songs be omitted from the set, with the entire remainder of the catalog still available to work with. This small gesture of mutual respect was apparently too much to ask, and this is where the discussions stopped. We assumed that was the end of the story and the end of the planned reunion, as we were never able to reach a full agreement. Then one day last month, Sal went to sign into the EOTC Facebook page (as we all do periodically) only to find that Ryan and Brian were the only members pictured. They were also the only people credited as band members. All of our credentials (along with those of our former record label) had been removed from the Facebook and Twitter accounts. We then caught wind that Ryan, in his current project, was playing EOTC songs as an encore alongside Brian. This marked the start of them using you guys — the fans — as leverage to convey that “the people want this.” They would go on to use this sentiment against us, claiming that if the band were to do a reunion, we do it fully or not at all, “for the fans.” They then proceeded to go on and paint themselves as the two sole saviors of this band in the public eye; the only two people fighting to give you this reunion. Through all of this, we still sat quietly as the public remained none the wiser. When the reunion talks fell apart, it was mentioned in passing that the two of them “may still go on to do some stuff.” This seemed vague, but nobody really thought twice about it. However, when their true intentions regarding the future of EOTC were announced, we found ourselves in utter shock. What you got when you saw or listened to Envy On The Coast was the blood, sweat, and tears of not two, but five people. Five people who devoted their lives entirely, sacrificed and gave themselves fully to this band for five-plus years. How would you feel if after years of spilling your heart and soul into a piece of art, and it being gone for six years, you one day wake up to find your name erased? To see two of the five contributors taking credit for your hard work and sacrifice, going on to take ownership of what everyone had built together. In the interest of getting out in front of any social media mudslinging, we will be the first to say that we are not going to sit idly by and bear witness to the glorification of a situation that we believe is wrong. As the ones who breathed life into us and allowed us to make this our lives for over five years, the fans do not deserve to be toyed with like this. Had the three of us been given full disclosure regarding Ryan and Brian’s future plans for the band, this all might have been avoided. We ask that you please place yourselves in our position and consider how you would feel if this happened to you. We’ve been backed into a corner, and we never meant for our fans to get caught in the crossfire. We hope you understand. Love and Respect, Sal, Dan, and Jer

2. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

This is frustrating, and kind of kills some of the excitement I have for listening to the new upcoming songs. But I still love Ryan as a songwriter and will listen. Wish they'd go under a different band name tho

3. Jacob Davidson

Regular

That is really rough.

4. John Zafran

As If Everything Was Held In Place

honest to god

i just wanna hear the songs live again. dc

I Am Mick likes this.
  5. Thursdaysox

We know it from the silence

Could have seen this one coming, those other two dudes always rubbed me the wrong way. I said it once and I'll say it again: No Sal, no care.

6. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

This must've been uncomfortable for them to even address. Never really understood the big deal with these guys anyway.

7. coach

stupider like a fox

Unfortunate. At one time I considered Envy on the Coast (along with The Receiving End of Sirens) as one of the bands I would fly out to the East Coast to see - if they decided to do reunion shows. I don't think that's the case anymore.

8. transrebel59

Regular

I've always loved Envy and really only read things about Ryan. But after this, I decided to check out Sal's solo music. If you haven't done so yet, seriously go listen to it.

9. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

It's a shitty situation, and it sucks for the other 3 but I just really want to hear some EOTC songs. Maybe change the name, label the reunion shows as like "NEWBANDNAME performing the songs of Envy On The Coast" or something. I just want new EOTC-esque tunes, even if it is only two of the original members.

10. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Didn't the other members all quit, and Ryan and Brian decided to just end the band? So technically, they could have kept playing as EOTC way back when

11. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Yeah but apparently they always wrote songs as a group together and when they put stuff on lowcountry that the other 3 didnt want, they quit

12. RiseAgainst379

Regular

Well this sucks. I really love EOTC. But until (or even if) the issues between the sides are resolved, I won't support any tour. Doesn't seem right given the candid response by these three.

Mostly-related: which songs on Lowcountry do you think they're referring to?

13. shouts23

Hi, I'm Negan ;)

Sounds like they are just super salty. Stop crying about it, and past tension. Seems like they need to grow up a tad bit.

OotyPa likes this.
  14. dubey

Regular

What were the songs?

finnyscott likes this.
  15. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

This photo came into my head after the first sentence of your comment.
    [​IMG]

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  16. heroseforhigher

I honestly don't understand their issue. They choose not to be a part of the band anymore and then get angry they aren't listed as members anymore? They didn't erase them from anything. They're just listing the current members. The linear notes, writing credits, Wikipedia, and past photos all include them so I don't understand why they want to be mentioned with the band they're currently not involved with.

Also, I understand the issue with the songs they'd prefer not playing but a reunion is for fans. The music is the show. The fans are there to hear it and experience it. Maybe some of those songs have important positions on the setlist and removing them would make it unbalanced or prevent it from being the best it can be. Considering the issues were old and the point of a reunion is to let bygones be bygones it would've been empowering to just play the songs and accept they have no more negative impact on your life. It seems silly to me for them to be upset that the remaining 2 members want to continue something they are still proud of and have fun doing.

I love Sal a lot and they're an amazing group of musicians. But come on. Let's be serious. What's the point of being angry? The statement is quite silly and entitled. There's no erasing. There's nothing wrong with the remaining members continuing the project.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  17. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I think certain people in this thread have never been in a band or created music, which is why they don't understand how much it can suck to play certain songs from your past that don't put you in a good place. I don't mean for that to sound dismissive or condescending, but it's also a bit inconsiderate to think Sal, Dan and Jer don't have a right to say whether or not they want to perform certain parts of their creative properties.

Bartek T. likes this.
  18. trevorshmevor Jun 3, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 4, 2016)
    It just seems that, from an outside perspective, two of these members wanted to come to terms with the past and let it be, while the other three would rather pretend like it didn't happen at all. Like, to completely drop any chance of a reunion because you'd rather not play a couple of songs that acknowledge the band had some rough times over half a decade ago seems weird to me. Being able to acknowledge your past and use it as a tool to create a better future just seems like the right way to mend a broken relationship.

Also, I'm pretty sure everyone here can relate to pushing through a situation that resembled something from a traumatic time in their past. This has nothing to do with having experience playing songs in a band, and everything to do with learning how to buck up and overcome your past.

WetwithSharp likes this.
  19. For good measure, and this is copied directly from one of my posts in the EOTC forum thread, I'm gonna leave this here too

I fully acknowledge that what Ryan and Brian are doing is pretty awful. Like, just a shit way to handle things and I in no way believe they should be absolved of the criticism they're currently facing. Sal, Dan, and Jer are not at fault for the way the other two members are handling any of this. These shows, let alone any sort of reunion clearly should not be happening at all if this level of disrespect is is seen as passable by any one of the five members.

20. carlosonthedrums Jun 3, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 3, 2016)
    carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Agree to disagree about that particular aspect, I guess. Some of these songs probably carry a good amount of discomfort for Sal and Jer, and it's directly associated with music they helped create. I don't think it's too outlandish for them to have a say in whether or not they'd like to present them to audiences during a time that's otherwise meant to be a celebration. It's a touchy situation, but it definitely sucks to see Ryan and Brian just bypass their opinions.

21. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Yikes...messy

22. It sucks that they're so divided over Lowcountry, because that is one of the best records I've ever heard. I guess I can understand being uncomfortable with songs from your past, but as a musician I've never encountered that issue even when performing love songs I wrote about people who aren't in my life. I can create that separation between my current and past emotions pretty well I guess.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  23. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Well to be fair, if these times are really as toxic and awful as they make it seem I can get it. It would be weird to see the guy singing the lyrics about you and a part of your past while hundreds of people jump and scream the lyrics to. Like I understand it's kinda petty to be upset about it, but isn't it also petty to not want to play a few songs?

24. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Lowcountry is just so damn good. A near perfect record for me. This whole situation sucks but new EOTC music with Brian and Ryan behind is still somewhat exciting to me.

25. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I miss the days when Cody Payne was the one starting drama like this and I didn't have to care