Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Death Cab and Cutie and Chvrches Release Statement

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Death Cab for Cutie and Chvrches have released a joint statement about their upcoming North Carolina shows. The full message can be found below.

We, Death Cab for Cutie and Chvrches are deeply saddened by the recent passage of North Carolina’s hateful and dangerous House Bill 2 (aka, HB2 or the “bathroom law.”). We are appalled by how Governor Pat McCrory and his conservative cronies have stoked the flames of fear around an undocumented, non-issue (i.e., sexual predators posing as transgender for the purpose of molesting children) as a way to not only discriminate against transgender persons but also to undermine the constitutional rights of North Carolina’s entire LGBT community. This nefarious brand of bigotry is embarrassing for the state of North Carolina and has no place in this great nation.

We, Death Cab for Cutie and Chvrches are deeply saddened by the recent passage of North Carolina’s hateful and dangerous House Bill 2 (aka, HB2 or the “bathroom law.”). We are appalled by how Governor Pat McCrory and his conservative cronies have stoked the flames of fear around an undocumented, non-issue (i.e., sexual predators posing as transgender for the purpose of molesting children) as a way to not only discriminate against transgender persons but also to undermine the constitutional rights of North Carolina’s entire LGBT community. This nefarious brand of bigotry is embarrassing for the state of North Carolina and has no place in this great nation.
    Since the passage of this horrific legislation, we have been deliberating as to what to do about our show together in Charlotte on June 16th as well as Death Cab for Cutie’s show in Asheville on June 11th. While we whole-heartedly support the decisions of our contemporaries to cancel their upcoming appearances in political protest, we have decided to honor our commitments and play. These shows will now be staged as benefits for two terrific North Carolina based organizations, Freedom Center for Social Justice and Southerners On New Ground (SONG), whom we admire for their tireless defense of LGBT rights in the state of North Carolina. We will not be taking a single dime from these shows. All profits will be donated to these important organizations.

“We have absolutely loved playing in North Carolina over the past 17 years,” says Death Cab for Cutie’s Ben Gibbard, “Not only have the crowds always been amazing but we have met so many wonderful people who remain friends to this day. Not to mention that the music of Chapel Hill’s Superchunk, Archers of Loaf and countless others have been integral to the ethos and sound of our band. And so it is with a heavy heart that we announce these shows in Asheville and Charlotte will be our last in North Carolina as long as HB2 stands. We sincerely hope we won’t have to wait long to come back”.

“We are incredibly distressed by HB2 and all that has been happening in North Carolina, but are also heartened to hear about so many people fighting to create positive change,” stated Chvrches’ Lauren Mayberry. “I know that our fans will join us and Death Cab in promoting equality, empathy and understanding between people, and we are proud to be supporting Freedom Center for Social Justice and Southerners On New Ground at this show.

“We know that all of us have a role to play in creating a world free from fear where attacks like HB2 are no longer feasible,” says Elias Lyles of Southerners On New Ground. “Death Cab for Cutie and Chvrches are acting in solidarity by using their concerts in North Carolina to lift up the voices and work of southern LGBTQ people of color, immigrants, and working class folks.”

If you are not able to attend the shows but are interested in donating to these organizations, you can do so here:

Southerners On New Ground

Freedom Center for Social Justice

About The Organizations:

Freedom Center for Social Justice: Through established programs and initiatives that counter the effects of poverty and all forms of oppression, the Freedom Center for Social Justice addresses social, economic and other justice needs within the LGBTQ community, helping to create true culture change within communities, businesses, organizations and institutions that serve and connect to some of the most marginalized.

Southerners On New Ground: Southerners On New Ground (SONG) is a regional Queer Liberation organization made up of people of color, immigrants, undocumented people, people with disabilities, working class and rural and small town, LGBTQ people in the South. We believe that we are bound together by a shared desire for ourselves, each other, and our communities to survive and thrive. We believe that Community Organizing is the best way for us to build collective power and transform the South. Out of this belief we are committed to building freedom movements rooted in southern traditions like community organizing, political education, storytelling, music, breaking bread, resistance, humor, performance, critical thinking, and celebration.

2. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

This is the coolest thing. I feel this may be the best response they could've possibly given.

3. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

This is great, so much respect to these bands.

4. klaszlogt

This 1000% how to do a kick ass protest, and respect your fans

5. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

This is how you fucking do it. Hell yeah to both bands, not surprised in the slightest that this is how they went about it.

6. Liz

Ew, David

I think this is absolutely the right response. Much love to both bands and I hope other artists will follow this example in the future

7. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

This is brilliant. Love that two of my favourite bands are doing this.

8. Great solution. I firmly believe the right way to handle these types of situations is dependent on the artist and how comfortable they are with standing up and speaking out, but this is ideally what I wish everyone would do on some scale.

9. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Fantastic.

10. Bob Loblaw

Wubbalubbadubdub

Just reiterating what everyone else has said, this is how I feel is the best way for bands to protest. Don't punish the fans who already got tickets and made plans to go, but let them know this will be the last time until changes are made.

11. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

Very comfortable being an echo in here. Fuck yes.

12. CaterpieSWAG

NC native here. I can't necessarily blame those that have canceled, but I'm so happy to see true protest moves like this.

Louis CK is another example. He's still doing his show in Greensboro and donating all money to Equality NC.

13. CMilliken

Trusted

This is great! Why cancel shows on your fans that probably don't have the same views as the state. Hopefully we see other bands follow this instead of canceling completely.

14. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

This is the best way to protest without hurting your fans. Announce that the shows that were scheduled and paid for before all of this horrible stuff started happening will be your last until something is changed. Good news for North Carolina fans of these groups.

I know it was really tough on Bruce Springsteen fans when he cancelled his show in April.

That said, there is more weight to a cancellation. Perhaps the idea there is that the increased level of frustration felt by certain folks would turn into political action. Given how apathetic some people can be, this might be the best bet for influencing change. I don't know.

15. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

shout out to Archers of Loaf.

16. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Yep, this is the perfect way to approach this. Proud of these bands.

17. thecobrakais

Regular

this is what you do instead of canceling a show. if all these other bands had any real integrity, they'd have done the same.

18. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I recognize it's a matter of opinion, but I really appreciated Laura Jane Grace's thoughts on different forms of protest. Against Me similarly did their show there as a big protest and that created lots of attention, and she acknowledged huge artists like the Boss cancelling did as well. I don't think there has to be a one size fits all approach to raising awareness and protesting the terrible state policy, they can each have a role. To say they don't have integrity strikes me as a bit unfair, because they can be well intended too.

coleslawed likes this.