Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spotify Removes Lyrics From Service

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Colin Stutz, writing for Billboard, on the removal of lyrics from Spotify:

In a statement Spotify said, “We can confirm our partnership with Musixmatch is ending. It was a great partnership and there is mutual respect between both companies as our business strategies move us each in different directions.”

Musixmatch, meanwhile, has a bit more to say about the split, suggesting it did not come amicably.

2. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

Spotify had lyrics?

Raku likes this.
  3. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Was a neat little feature to be honest am gonna miss it!

Okay I think I'm going to start a war here but I haven't used Apple Music yet but is it better?

4. kidinthebushes

Trusted

Same here! I guess I will have to go back to P Lyrics...

JamesMichael likes this.
  5. jorbjorb

7 rings

damn never used this feature.

Raku likes this.
  6. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I only realized this was a feature sometime last week and started using it. So for me it was short-lived. Maybe they'll work something out with Genius though since that seems to be the go-to for lyrics these days.

7. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Wow I thought they were through Genius all along, the style/font used was really similar to the UI of that site.

8. ianzandi

Regular

I also thought this. Didn't they have a behind the lyrics feature and everything?

9. alexjlow

Regular

I had no idea this was a feature either. I have the Genius app on my phone so the lyrics come up automatically through there, which is perfect really.

thenewtypetheory likes this.
  10. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Yeah I'm pretty sure they did. Oh well, maybe they try to work something out with Genius now instead

11. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

Apple Music is still compatible with Musixmatch. I wonder if Apple made an exclusive deal shoving out Spotify.

12. Honestly, I installed Apple Music on my Android to listen to Chance's new record because it was exclusively streaming there but immediately switched back to Spotify when it was released everywhere. That being said, the Spotify app has a ton of issues that I'm just used to at this point, such as search sometimes just not working at all and requiring a restart. I'm sure you could find people that prefer either. Apple Music's recommendations were pretty dumb and off-base for me but their library is larger than Spotify (if I'm not mistaken...they at least have Taylor Swift), and the app had problems but not as many as I've mentioned with Spotify. Still, Spotify had an equalizer on my phone whereas Apple Music didn't, and that was the deciding factor.

13. Fuckkmerunning

To be honest I was a long time Spotify used but made the jump to apple and haven't looked back since. I recommend it for the main reason that I can have all of my music in the same space. The only thing I'm not crazy about its the discovery mode but I'm not looking for curated playlists anyway.

14. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Spotify included Genius support for a few specific releases recently so I'm assuming this is just part of a transition.

thenewtypetheory likes this.