Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Ringer Officially Launches

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Ringer, the new publication from Bill Simmons (formerly of Grantland/ESPN) has launched. I think it’s interesting that they’ve teamed with Medium to host and design the entire website. It leads to some confusing branding (is this on Medium, or is this its own thing), but all-in-all, I like it.

That header though.

2. MrRobot

Twitter/IG: @scott325

Still not too huge on the name, but I'm so glad a large portion of the Grantland crew is back together. They were by far the best at sportswriting and tv recaps.

3. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

After looking at the site, I'm not understanding why it took so long for them to get this up. I've mentioned this in the forums before, but I wasn't a fan of having to read some stuff on Facebook notes, which I forgot even existed. And @Jason Tate I totally get what you mean about the header haha.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. MrRobot

Simmons' show on HBO premieres in 3 weeks. It was almost certainly scheduled to coincide with that.

5. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I've read a couple pieces on their already today. Definitely enjoying it and glad to have a lot of the Grantland staff members back in action.

6. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I don't doubt that. Just seemed unnecessary since they already had the podcasts, newsletter, and FB posts going. That should have been more than enough reason to have the site done sooner. It also just looks like most of the other partnership sites with Medium, like Backchannel: Backchannel

7. Craig Ismaili Jun 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 1, 2016)
    Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I'm guessing it taking so long to go up had more to do with legal issues regarding ESPN (non-compete perhaps?) or his contract with HBO than it did the site design. Also, why is that header so comically large? Headers shouldnt take up half (or more) of the screen.

8. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

True. I think the ESPN contract was up around September since his podcast started back up shortly after that. Either way, I'm enjoying the content. But yes, that header takes up like 75% of my screen. It gets smaller when you click on posts, but still way too much of it on the home page.

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Maybe I've just never noticed it before on other sites, but at the top of every article it shows an estimated time to read. I wonder if that encourages users to actually read more.

10. MrRobot

I noticed that too and I think that might be my favorite part of the site so far.

11. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Medium does that for all posts. It's a great feature. I use Instapaper as a read it later service and they also have estimated read times. Might be one of my favorite things about both.

Jason Tate and aoftbsten like this.
  12. bptky

check out Musica - Akron's best live music venue

I still think I preferred the format of Grantland compared to this

MrRobot likes this.
  13. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

So glad this is through Medium. Article reading on there is great and the whole service in general is top notch. Estimated read time is the best feature on any social network

Deanna likes this.