Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

House of Heroes’ Album Gets Sent Out Early

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 29, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

While House of Heroes’ new album, Colors, doesn’t come out until July 1st, it looks like Amazon messed up and sent out some copies early. Due to this error the band will be sending out digital copies to backers on Monday.

July 1 is the official release date for COLORS. There was a glitch with the release date at Amazon, and 55 CDs got mailed out early unfortunately. This is incredibly disappointing, and we are very sorry to you faithful IndieGogo supporters that this has happened. We will be sending your digital copy of the record on Monday, and we really hope you enjoy it!

2. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Yikes thats lame not the roll out they were hoping of course.

3. As much as this sucks, as a backer I am so stoked to now hear the record! All the released tracks have been top notch.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  4. Got the email this morning. Excited to finally hear this thing. The wait has been way too long.

Also, I called it a LONG time ago that they were planning on a May 27 release. It's cool to be affirmed that I was correct. Except now they're going up against new Blink-182, hahah

5. ianzandi

Regular

Some of the fans reactions to people getting it before the Backers are terrible. it's just an album. we are all going to get it at some point

That being said the four songs I've heard so far are really good

6. ARo24

Regular

I feel like this happens all too often. The band puts in so much effort and some nimrod screws it up. Unfortunately it's one of the downfalls to digital music.

7. exanctile

Fight the long defeat.

This entire process has been disappointing, unfortunately. From the length of time it has taken (roughly two years) to the botched release for contributors, although that was likely out of the band's hands, admittedly.

What irritates me is that after paying $15 for an early digital copy of the album and Smoke EP almost two years ago, the exact same package is available for $10 via the official pre-order today.

8. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Supposedly the CD has also showed up in local stores.

9. contra11mundum

Yeah. The whole point of these crowd funding campaigns is to fund the record. That's why it's more expensive. You're paying for the product and helping the product to be made.

It drives me crazy that people never seem to get that.

chhholly123 likes this.
  10. exanctile

Fight the long defeat.

Noted. I'm happy to support the band; it's just sad that this process hasn't gone more smoothly for them. $5 is hardly worth a complaint, but I would have hoped to receive something more unique as a contributor than the exact product from the pre-order, at least when I'm paying more for it.

(Yes, I know that satisfaction derived from funding the band's efforts to create the album is technically included.)

11. ianzandi

Regular

I've never seen a House of Heroes record in any record store anywhere in California. I've checked everytime. Even Christian book stores haha. Those stores are lucky (in Tennessee or Ohio I'm assuming)

12. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

I just want to hear the album already! Bummed for them that it happened this way but the lack of updates was pretty frustrating.

13. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Really looking forward to this. Really happy to be a backer and really happy that we get to listen to it tomorrow.

Also, given where this band has been, the fact we're getting another LP at all is really great. I'm not gonna worry about a few days here or there. It exists, and it'll be here when it's here.

14. exanctile

Fight the long defeat.

Did anyone else receive the wrong download link? I got the e-mail from House of Heroes, and it linked to Zach Bolen's last album, 1001. Apparently he's another artist on the Bad Christian label.

One mishap after another, it seems.

Edit: realized I received two e-mails with identical text and two different links: Zach Bolen and the new HOH record.

15. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Hey, free record! I should check to see of I got that other one too. Maybe it's worth a listen?

The new HOH is extremely good and well worth the wait.

exanctile likes this.
  16. Lucas27

Trusted

This is a really strange album. It's not a misstep at all, I just don't fully understand it yet. It's almost like the House of Heroes equivalent to an art rock record. None of the songs really grabbed me on first listen which was disappointing, but the album itself is fascinating to me. It's definitely not their catchiest or most accessible, but it's really unique and I have a feeling that once I delve into the story behind it I'll be able to enjoy it more fully. As of the first listen, I think I was too busy trying to wrap my head around the album to really enjoy it, but I have a feeling this will be a grower.

JRGComedy and exanctile like this.
  17. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I definitely agree to a point - it's for sure their least accessible. I can't imagine (at this point) being able to put these songs in a playlist with their past work. I have really no idea how they'll work these into a live setlist - it's essentially one 45 minute piece of music with 13 movements.

That said - the repeated guitar hook they work into half the songs on the album is super catchy. And 'Pioneer' and 'Rat' and 'Matador' are all the sorts of songs that get stuck in your head pretty immediately.

I don't know how it holds up - I feel like 'The End is Not the End' is a classic, and 'Say No More' is one of the most underrated albums ever. But I feel like their last couple (Cold Hard Want and Suburba) didn't live up to their earlier stuff, especially with repeated listens. If this thing is a grower like you said, maybe this one will.

18. I received both emails as well. Thankfully I'm actually interested im hearing Zach Bolen's album, haha. He's the frontman of Citizens (aka Citizens & Saints). Dustin Kensrue has covered his song "Oh God."

exanctile likes this.
  19. contra11mundum

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on one listen.

I seriously doubt this will ever hold up to Say No More, TEINTE or Suburba for me. But we'll see.

20. Lucas27

Trusted

I didn't like "Rat" much on my first listen, but now listening a second time I'm seriously digging it. I had a HoH marathon and listened to their entire discography in prep for the new album yesterday so that might have had a negative effect since this one is so different.

Also, the lukewarmness for Cold Hard Want baffles me. I think that's easily their best outside of The End Is Not the End. It's probably their most accessible but it's still purely House of Heroes. I don't think there's a single misstep on that record. Suburba is great too, but the second half of the album doesn't quite live up to the first half for me. Say No More is definitely underrated...really hit me when I listened again yesterday. This band really has an amazing discography.

JRGComedy and Chase Tremaine like this.
  21. Lucas27

Trusted

Just finished my second listen to Colors. Really like it a lot more. Ending is still really jarring and unresolved seeming, but haven't dug into the story yet so that's probably intentional. I could see me slowly falling in love with this.

22. My thing with Cold Hard Want is that it hasn't held up well over time. I think that's one of the few albums where I think the sum is less than the parts, so to speak, because overall CHW easily has some of the band's best songs overall. Meanwhile I think Suburba is a better record overall even though that record has fewer of my fave HOH songs.

exanctile likes this.
  23. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Yeah, this is how I feel about CHW. For me, there's zero flow, at all - there are several huge peaks ('Dance,' 'Touch This Light,' 'Comfort Trap,' 'Angels of Night,') but they don't seem to come together as a cohesive record. For me at least. I like the album; I just think it's a step down from their previous stuff.

Suburba - in my opinion - just has too much filler. There are three or four tracks on it that I just can never get all that into. They're definitely not bad; they're just sort of there.

I'm not sure I have a more listened to band than HOH; they're definitely top 5 or 6 for me, depending on the day. I think, though, that SNM and The End are essentially perfect, and that there's a good chance if Suburba and CHW were made by a different band than made those previous albums, I'd feel different. (Also their debut that no one ever talks about is really, really great. And might be my third favorite record of theirs, depending on where this winds up. It reminds me of 'Clarity' or 'I Am the Movie' in that the production isn't nearly as shiny or crisp as their later stuff, but the songs are just so good that it's charming more than it's an issue)

exanctile and Chase Tremaine like this.
  24. exanctile

Fight the long defeat.

Oh, how did I not realize that? I love their (and his) music. Can't believe I overlooked that. Well, I'm now doubly pleased to have received another album unexpectedly.

25. ianzandi

Regular

I love the house of heroes praise here. Can we all just appreciate the Beatles cover ep as well? those 3 songs are so excellent. It literally turns heads and people ask "who's this?" in a positive manner when I play it at work

AshlandATeam and Chase Tremaine like this.