Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Weeknd and Belly Cancel Kimmel Appearance

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 26, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Weeknd and Belly canceled their appearance on Kimmel last night because Donald Trump was set to appear on the same episode.

I’m here on a campaign of positivity and love and to contribute what I can to music. I create songs people go to sleep and wake up to, songs that they fall in love to. For me, being Muslim and being somebody that appreciates my access here in America, I love the fact that I’m able to be here. To play my part in this business is a privilege and a beautiful thing. The fact that I could lose that ability through the actions of someone such as Donald Trump isn’t right to me. At all.

Good for them.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  2. bptky

check out Musica - Akron's best live music venue

[​IMG]

beachdude42 and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  3. joe.boy.fresh.

Trusted

As if I needed another reason to love the weeknd. This is huge. Glad they took a stance.

4. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Great move on their part.

5. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

Probably got a hell of a lot more publicity doing this than being on Kimmel.

Schooner, Eric, beachdude42 and 2 others like this.
  6. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Cool. Solid Move. Would have liked it even more if they showed up and rip Trump to his face, but can't really expect that.

7. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Yeah good for them

8. billcom6

Congrats on giving Trump more airtime and silencing your own chance to speak out against the problems you have with him.

Brent, MrSwetz and Tata Toothy like this.
  9. Tylar

Good, I'm annoyed that some of these shows like SNL and Fallon have actually had Trump on their shows recently

beachdude42 likes this.
  10. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Trump didn't get any extra airtime. Jazz singer Gregory Porter replaced them.

Their voices are being heard plenty as a result of these actions. What could they have done if they had performed? They aren't usually interviewed when they're just performing. I don't know that denouncing him in the few seconds they have before the song or refusing to shake his hand after the performance have had much of a point.

11. simonthm

Can't Stump the Trump!

12. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

This is awesome.

13. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Perfect.

14. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Last year j balvin cancelled his first performance on national television because of trump as well :heart:

The solidarity is cool to see

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  15. billcom6

Thanks for the info. I turned it on towards the end when the music is usually on but there was a commercial so I thought timing for the whole thing was different.

16. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Unfortunately that won't cause anyone to stop supporting Trump. Never met any harder-headed people than Trump supporters. The guy has said approximately a thousand things that should've torpedoed his candidacy lol.

Good move though

Carmensaopaulo and lightning13 like this.
  17. Schooner

Trusted

Also you get extra free publicity. It's also my cynical theory of when sponsors leave a sports star that's done something naughty that the first few that jump off get a few headlines for taking the moral stance

18. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

yeah it really confuses me. Fallon and Kimmel rip him apart in their monologues often yet they have him on a lot.

19. transrebel59

Regular

Okay, serious question: In Arizona, a ton of artists refused to tour there because of SB1070. In North Carolina, a few artists refused to tour there recently. When/if Trump wins the presidency, do you think we will see a nationwide cancellation of tour dates?

20. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Of course they're going to have the guy on who makes their ratings go through the roof as much as they possibly can. If Donald Trump wanted to sit in with The Roots for a week and play kazoo they would make it happen.

What bums me out more than the actual people who support Trump, are the people who will tune in just cause they think "it's just so fun/captivating to watch." These are the same people who would bring out lawn chairs to watch a neighborhood house burn down.

21. simonthm

Maybe you should do a a bit of research first.

Trump has said publicly before he transgender people should use the bathroom they choose: http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...eople-should-use-the-bathroom-they-want/?_r=0

His whole stance on this and many other social issues is that there are bigger things for the Federal government to worry about then wear someone takes a dump. Limit big government and let the states decide. Fundamental democracy.

These populist views are why he has succeeded this far. To a large amount people out there, and regardless of what party they are in, his logic seems pretty reasonable: I feel that they should use whatever bathroom they want, but let the states decide.

Sorry this issue doesn't fit into your "Trump is literally Hitler" narrative. :(

22. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

i'm confused at what you're trying to do. are you playing devil's advocate to be a stickler or are you an actual trump stan? because to a lot of germans in ww2, hitler's populist views were good/did good. luckily, we understand today, in the context of everything we know about hitler that obviously, the harm he causes outweighs the "good".

maybe *you* should do research on why people, specifically a muslim artist like Belly would refuse to be on a television program with Trump, and why artists could use their power to boycott him. i'm sure you've turned on the news in the past 10 months, so i'm sure you can answer that.

also, letting the states decide on who uses what bathroom is a fucking abhorrent policy lol

23. transrebel59

Regular

That had literally nothing to do with what I asked. My question was, obviously a lot of musicians have issues with Trump. And a lot of musicians have shown that they will express their anger towards legal issues in certain states by not playing in those states. With somebody like The Weeknd choosing not to play on a show because he is opposed to Trump, how do you think musicians will protest when/if he wins the presidency?

24. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

it's not financially viable to boycott the entire country. but I think you can look to how in the mid '00s, punk was largely defined as being anti-bush. you look at records from american idiot to war on errorism, to anti-flag's entire career, to the "rock against bush" series, and so on, and it represented this whole genre defining movement. you'd definitely see the same w/ a president trump, probably to a further extent, because of the internet and people being more connected and stuff.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  25. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Why is letting states decide abhorrent tho