Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The New Scrabble Strategy

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 21, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Wall Street Journal, with an interesting article about how Nigeria is changing the strategy of Scrabble:

Nigeria is beating the West at its own word game, using a strategy that sounds like Scrabble sacrilege. By relentlessly studying short words, this country of 500 languages has risen to dominate English’s top lexical contest.

Last November, for the final of Scrabble’s 32-round World Championship in Australia, Nigeria’s winningest wordsmith, Wellington Jighere, defeated Britain’s Lewis Mackay, in a victory that led morning news broadcasts in his homeland half a world away.

I’m always fascinated by new ways of thinking and strategizing at games that seem to have had the same techniques for years.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  2. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

That was cool. I tend to play pretty defensively in WWF myself. Didn't realize I was onto something.