Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

DC Comics Debuts New Logo/Identity

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 20, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

We’re not the only ones getting a new logo, DC Comics debuted their new identity this week as well:

“While comics continue to be the heart and soul of DC, the brand has evolved to now stand for powerful storytelling across so many different forms of media. DC is home to the greatest Super Heroes and Super-Villains, and the new logo has the character and strength to stand proudly alongside DC’s iconic symbols,” stated Amit Desai, DC Entertainment Senior Vice President of Marketing and Global Franchise Management.

If you squint, it kinda looks like Spider-Man or Deadpool … not DC characters. But other than that, it’s not bad.

Bravespear likes this.
  2. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

Trying to steal your thunder Jason. With the blue and all.

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Too close to the DC shoes logo now.

4. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Not sure if it is of any interest, but this logo is essentially an homage to the 1972 DC logo:

[​IMG]

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  5. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Not bad

6. Blowmybutthole

7. Blake Solomon

Mr. Emeritus Prestigious

i see the negative space in the C more than anything else, and best I can tell it's nonsense? A hammer? Thor's hammer? I get that it's referencing an old logo, but it doesn't feel like it's pushing it forward for any real reason.

8. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Jim Lee said on IG that "the nooks and angles are meant to evoke the Superman 'S', the Wonder Woman 'WW' emblem and the Bat logo."

I don't see it myself.

9. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Why does it feel like DC have changed their logo a lot ?

Dan O'Neill and Jason Tate like this.
  10. our new logo is better

DarkHotline, Ryan, coleslawed and 2 others like this.
  11. Dan O'Neill

Regular

I'm so glad that DC is trying to distance themselves from the doom-and-gloom of their past decade of comic output.

Geoff Johns is especially to blame, since almost all of his stories involve dark and depressing themes.

I hear his Rebirth #1 special (Out next week) has a refreshing air of optimism to it. Can't wait to check it out. :)

12. Dan O'Neill

Regular

They changed it a LOT in the 1940s and 1970s, once in the 80's, then more recently around 2005 and then 2012.

They had the "bullet" logo for most of my life (I'm 28, for reference), so it IS weird to see the logo change 3 times beyond that...but their logo has changed a lot in their long history.

13. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

J.Dick likes this.
  14. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

I like the one from the 90s, when I was a kid the most

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  15. J.Dick

Regular

I'm very excited to see what DC does with Rebirth and beyond. My LCS is running a deal on all the #1 Rebirth issues and I can't wait to see what they try and pull out.

16. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

You'll be happy to know that Johns won't be writing comics anymore, as he heads up the film department.

Personally I'm a big Johns fan

17. J.Dick

Regular

Except he says he will still be very involved in comics.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  18. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Involved yes but not as a writer which is what I said.

19. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Excited to check out Rebirth.

20. Raku

Regular

I'm really hoping with this rebirth, and re-branding we'll get some more positive stories coming out (and if they do, I hope this effects their movies too because I'm tired of these dark and gritty movies from DC (Their cartoons are descent though)).

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  21. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

Doesn't make Dawn of Justice suck any less.

22. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Geoff Johns is great.

J.Dick likes this.
  23. J.Dick

Regular