Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

And Update from Bandcamp

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 19, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Bandcamp founder, Ethan Diamond, has posted an update on the status of the music service:

Bandcamp grew by 35% last year. Fans pay artists $4.3 million dollars every month using the site, and they buy about 25,000 records a day, which works out to about one every 4 seconds (you can see a real-time feed of those purchases on our desktop home page). Nearly 6 million fans have bought music through Bandcamp (half of whom are younger than 30), and hundreds of thousands of artists have sold music on Bandcamp. Digital album sales on Bandcamp grew 14% in 2015 while dropping 3% industry-wide, track sales grew 11% while dropping 13% industry-wide, vinyl was up 40%, cassettes 49%… even CD sales grew 10% (down 11% industry-wide). Most importantly of all, Bandcamp has been profitable (in the now-quaint revenues-exceed-expenses sense) since 2012.

coleslawed, bradsonemanband and Raku like this.
  2. Raku

Regular

I'm glad Bandcamp is doing so well. This is where I mostly stream my music (other than youtube, and sometimes Spotify) now that Grooveshark no longer exists.

Plus I love finding new punk bands shared there.

3. AshlandATeam

Trusted

This is great. Whenever I can, I buy from bandcamp instead of iTunes. I'm glad to hear it's viable and making money for artists!

coleslawed and bradsonemanband like this.
  4. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

Apart from this website, Bandcamp is one of the main sources where some of my current favourite bands were discovered.

In my head, that sentence doesn't make sense. It does, right?

5. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Bandcamp does have podcasts

6. jorbjorb

7 rings

Bandcamp rules. So easy for my band to work with.

7. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

You know, when I first read the suggestion about podcasts I was confused as to how that might be beneficial... But reflecting on it? That would be pretty great. They're already set-up to handle payments (so podcasters wouldn't need to use a secondary service like Patreon), hosts could incorporate a merch section, etc.

Though, I am thinking they would want to start this up as a second but linked service for branding purposes. "Bandcamp" as a name emphasizes music... Fortunately, the solution to that is simple: Podcamp. You're welcome, Bandcamp. You're welcome.

8. jorbjorb

7 rings

podcamp would be cool. take notes bandcamp.

9. tyler2tall May 20, 2016
    (Last edited: May 20, 2016)
    tyler2tall

Trusted Supporter

Tell Em Steve Dave posts 1-2 bonus podcasts a year on bandcamp

10. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i remember when bandcamp was tiny, so glad they've done so well, best way for music.

11. chuwaay

I just discovered a band that are unsigned and they don't have their stuff on bandcamp. Would it be rude if I suggested to them they put their new album up there? By their Twitter and Facebook it doesn't look like they are that big either.

12. I don't think it would be rude. You should link them to the article too so they can see how it could benefit them as they grow.

Raku likes this.
  13. shawnhyphenray

Regular

Bandcamp is my favorite place to purchase digital music.

14. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

awesome stuff. I go down black holes in bandcamp where I'm just listening to EVERYTHING. good times.

15. bruinrk

Apart from this website, Band camp is one of the main sources where I discovered some of my favorite bands.

There, grammar fixed so the sentence makes sense now

InfiniteArms and Jason Tate like this.
  16. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

Hahah thanks

17. CMilliken

Trusted

I love bandcamp. I love being able to pay what I want for an album. Be it the minimum they ask for or more. I really like the idea of that. I know a lot of artists prefer bandcamp to other digital outlets, so I try to buy there when possible.

alkalinexandy likes this.