Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The New Chorus.fm Logo

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 19, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

When I drew the AbsolutePunk.net logo all those years ago, I never imagined how many places it would end up. I can’t tell you how many times we needed to shrink it down, or blow it up, or put it on a colored background, and I’d end up laughing at the little red splatters while having no real idea what to do with them. When I started building Chorus I had a color scheme I loved, but I was never able to settle on a logo that felt right. I tried a few different things before deciding to punt and launch with the word mark while using a blue and white “C.FM” placeholder. I wanted to make sure that this time I thought through everything. That if we had a logo, it was something I felt could stand the test of time and was a true representation of this new website.

I had a few goals in mind: I wanted something that represented the website, was easy to recognize, could be used in very large or very small sizes and still be distinguishable, could be used in virtually any color, or even monochrome if needed, and I was looking for something that had a familiar relationship with both our word mark and the Encore podcast logo. And more than anything, I was looking for that feeling joy when I saw it — that feeling of, “yep, that’s it.” After working with the same designer that helped birth the Encore logo, I know that we found exactly what I was looking for.

[​IMG]

The multi-ring shape is a representation of the word “chorus,” the idea of multiple people coming together in unison.1 The negative space on the right cuts out just enough to create the definitive “C” of our logo. The circle, ring weight, and colors match with our podcast logo. And within that negative space, we find the universal “wave” sign. These waves are usually used when describing sound, or music playing, but just as often they’re used to symbolize the Internet or wi-fi waves. I love this dual meaning and how perfectly representative of Chorus.fm it is. Music and the internet? A beautiful pair.

The logo was built to be able to grow to huge sizes for banners, shrink for avatars or icons, and to be ready for print. It’s something we can use on virtually any background and render in any color we need. This includes using it in a monochrome version and letting it stand on its own. It’s built to work with our word mark, or stand strong on a breast pocket.

I’ll be rolling out the logo in different places over the next week or so, but I wanted to show it here first so people weren’t confused when I made the changes on social media accounts, tab icons, and things like that. The plan is still to find the right place to put together a little merch shop of some kind in the future as well. I’d love a hoodie or t-shirt, and of course, coffee mugs and beer glasses are a must. I hope you like what we’ve come up with as much as I do, I’ve put together a little image below of the logo in a variety of colors and sizes:

[​IMG]

I’d like to thank grafiksyndikat for working with me on creating this logo and dealing with my more obsessive qualities. They do great work and can put up with me debating line widths and specific shades of white. Once again I also want to thank everyone that’s been a supporter over the past month for all the feedback and all of the amazing support and great conversations. Also, a thank you to everyone that’s read our homepage, reviews, stories, shared an article or two, or participated in the forums. I have to say, pretty damn good timing that we’re getting new Brand New, Blink-182, Good Charlotte, Saosin, Sum 41, The Hotelier, Thrice, and a cornucopia of awesome new music this year. It’s a good year to be a huge music fan.

1. It has the added benefit of looking a little like record grooves.

justjess, morken, Dan O'Neill and 4 others like this.
  2. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Already told you I loved it but I'll do it again. I love it.

fenway89 and Jason Tate like this.
  3. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

this pleases me!

AelNire and Jason Tate like this.
  4. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Before reading your explanation, it reminded me of a record player...good to hear how much thought and meaning went into this and gotta say I love the site! By far the site I visit most to break up the mundane work day, so thank you for that.

supernovagirl and Jason Tate like this.
  5. yasssss

6. JJ Pagan

Trying Hard Not To Look Like I'm Trying That Hard

Love it.

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

Love the logo.

Jason Tate likes this.
  8. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I quite enjoy the new logo... So, shirts now? :panther::storm::scarlet:

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. Tata Toothy

Regular

I love it. It's simple yet catches the eye.

Jason Tate likes this.
  10. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Yeah definitely getting a spinning record vibe from the lines, I dig it

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. btr

Trusted Supporter

Definitely a fan. Loving the shades of blue.

Jason Tate likes this.
  12. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Can't wait to have this thing on a T-shirt and coffee mug.

Tim and Jason Tate like this.
  13. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

A pin like the AP.net one would be quite awesome as well.

14. Woooo!

Jason Tate likes this.
  15. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

My rating: 9.8/10

This might take the crown for best new logo of the year.

LOTY!!

Jake W and Jason Tate like this.
  16. tigereatsapple

You should be really proud of the Chorus.fm logo. It does look like a timeless piece and I will be a customer for your merch!

Jason Tate likes this.
  17. RyanNevill

Graphic Designer

I dig it.

Now let me fix it. As is the logo redesign tradition. Expect my dribbble shot @JasonTate
    ;)

Jason Tate likes this.
  18. Kizwiz

Regular

Looks clean to me. Not as iconic or symbolic as the AP logo but that may just be the nostalgia talking. This logo is definitely more mature and professional-looking.

19. noKings

Regular

Saweet

20. spencpants

Can I pet your dog? Prestigious

Looks good, dude.

21. RedViolinist88

classical music junky Supporter

Jason Tate and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  22. MattNCheeze

Trusted

Makes me want to play Destiny.

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  23. serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

Looks awesome. While I enjoyed the old AP logo, honestly I'd never have bought a shirt or anything with it on it. I will buy a shirt with this logo on it.

trevorshmevor and Jason Tate like this.
  24. metallikunt

I'm in love with the ordinary

Welcome to Cortana.fm :-)

Seriously though, it's not that similar to the Cortana logo, I just use that every day so my mind went there. Great logo! Now that I look again, it's like a perfect blend of the Cortana logo and the Gunship band logo.

Either way, I love it!

Jason Tate likes this.
  25. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Logo/branding is an A++++++

Thoroughly impressed with it

cubsml34, Jason Tate and AelNire like this.