Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice – “Black Honey” Video

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 17, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. princexero

Let's Lead, Not Follow

Amazing.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  3. IceStationZebra

Regular

This is my favorite video of theirs to date. It reminds me a lot of Jeff Nichols' recent films.

4. GiantBomb

Really really enjoyed this song and the video, so glad to have them back...and Thursday on deck too.

5. CampfireColorado

Regular

wow. the actual video made me like this song way more. stoked for new Thrice.

Chase Tremaine and Chris Prindle like this.
  6. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Came in here to say the same thing. Totally has a Midnight Special/Take Shelter vibe to it.

Chase Tremaine and Chris Prindle like this.
  7. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

New Thrice, New Blink, maaaaaaybe new Brand New? I had a Back to the Future reference to make but my excitement overshadowed my ability to remember things...

renoinexile and Chase Tremaine like this.
  8. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

also Saosin!

Chris Prindle likes this.
  9. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

teebs41 likes this.
  10. Ska Senanake

Trusted

johnnyferris and Chase Tremaine like this.
  11. This is what I imagine the newer Jeff Nichols (Mud, Take Shelter) movie Midnight Special being like.

12. HA. That's exactly what I said ^^

13. I'm so glad we're all agreeing on this.

14. Nice avatar. I've been jamming that album a lot lately.

princexero likes this.
  15. princexero

Let's Lead, Not Follow

Thanx :) I love that cover art!

16. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Cool guitar sound, great vocal delivery, but I don't think the song/lyrics are there, at all, which is insane because Thrice has been so great at that for me since Vheissu

17. It's about overseas relations concerning oil. If that helps.

coleslawed likes this.
  18. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Thanks man, but I think my complaint is that it's a little too heavy-handed. It's a cool metaphor, but it doesn't really go anywhere. By the time the chorus hits, I'm sick of it. I like the verse about the butterfly, at least, but the rest doesn't do it for me.

19. I understand you feel. I similarly get tired of the same metaphor by the end, but I think the expansion of the bridge, going into how the honey-stealing has broader effects back home, helps. I agree though, switching to the butterfly analogy helps a lot, and I almost wish the rest of the song would've continued down the metaphor-switching path instead of returning to the bees.

20. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

This is exactly how I feel about both songs so far. I'm biased because I can never fully get into political songs, and I've never been a huge thrice fan, but it just doesn't do anything for me. Which is unfortunate because the guitars and vocals sound awesome.

21. Bryan Diem

Trusted

We're on the same page it feels. As much I love the political sentiment of the song, it doesn't work in song form for me. I'm a huge fan of everything Vheissu onwards, and Illusion of Safety, but this is just like a poorer M/M track, imo

js977 likes this.
  22. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

I actually like the repetition of the bee metaphor/imagery. It sort of emphasizes the theme