Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Advance Music Culture (Encore Episode 124) Podcast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 13, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

This week’s episode of Encore looks at “advance music culture” and what the expectations are for music bloggers that get sent music in advance. Has the music press become too “braggy”? Does talking about an album too much ruin the album for fans by building up expectations too high? What about bands that don’t want anyone to “hype” up their albums? Alongside the main topic we talk about Captan America: Civil War, Radiohead, Modern Baseball, and answer a few listener questions as well. You’ll find all the download and subscription information below, and, as always — thanks for listening.

Sponsor

• Safely: Check out the band’s new album right now — pick it up, listen to it, enjoy their music. You can also find the band on Bandcamp.
    Hosts + More

Show Notes

• Captain America: Civil War.
    • Encore will be moving to a bi-weekly release schedule.
    • Main topic for the day — “album advance culture.” We talk about people who tweet about / write about albums they have before their release, and whether this is useful or harmful, and how we think is the best way to go about doing this.
    • News: Radiohead release an album, there’s a new Justin Timberlake song, and Modern Baseball is streaming its new album.
    • Listener questions: On showing up late to shows on purpose to only catch the headliner, and on Apple Music “stealing” your files.
    • JT Recommends: Blaqk Audio – Material; new Justin Timberlake song, new Radiohead album, and the new Chorus logo should be coming soon.
    • TN Recommends: Bad Timing Records’ “spring cleaning” sale.
    Subscribe

You can subscribe to this podcast in iTunes, via any podcast player using our RSS feed, on SoundCloud, via Overcast, in Google Play, or on Stitcher. You can also find all of our previous episodes archived on our podcast page, iTunes, or on SoundCloud.

If you have any follow-up, questions, or a topic you’d like us to cover on a future episode, please send a tweet using the hashtag #askEncore. If you’d like to follow this podcast on Twitter we are at @encorepodcast. We love hearing from listeners and are always looking for topics both big and small to tackle. So, let us know!

If you like the podcast, could you please rate and review us on iTunes? It really does help. If you’re using the great podcast player Overcast, please hit the “recommended” button on the episodes you like. And if you have any friends that you think would like our podcast, please let them know! Word of mouth and telling people about this podcast will always be the best thing you can do to help us out. We really appreciate it.

Information about sponsoring our podcast can be found on this page, and if you become a member you get episodes a day early along with a bunch of other perks.

2. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Haha the Uncle thing has bugged me forever.

3. J.Dick

Regular

I couldn't disagree more with Jason about Civil War. Tony always overcompensates when he feels guilty as far back as Iron Man 2 and this version of Tony also has an impulse control problem. Marvel heroes have a long history of fighting each other and having conversations later.

The airport fight was great and you got the impression that Tony's team wasnt there to hurt or kill anyone but to stop them. The final fight was much more personal and brutal. I loved it.

Also Vision in his sweater and slacks?! I want a whole movie of that!

Serh likes this.
  4. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

With regards to album advance reviews/blogs/twitter "spoilers", I think it's my fault as a fan/reader for actively seeking out that information by visiting this site.

5. SoundInTheSignals

@Bake_Wear / soundinthesignals.com

Good episode. I'd be interested in a future episode to know what you guys think of the new Cassino stuff (either the song or the EP if it is out by the next podcast).

You guys should clip the last 30 minutes (or around the listener questions portion) and keep the large podcast bi-weekly and just have those listener question answers as like mini-podcast on those bi weeks. Just my 2 cents. I just like the good quality conversation you guys have and can definitely understand needing those bi-weeks. Also you should get Drew on more!

6. SayHello

Regular

My take on today's main topic: Promoting and saying something is great prior to its release will definitely help it sell better (first week sales / pre-orders etc.)....However, doing so may give some listeners unreasonable expectations and thus hinder their enjoyment. So from a short-term label perspective - hyping may be good, from a long-term label perspective and band's perspective overall - if creating unreasonable expectations hinders fans' enjoyment and then they lose fans because it didn't live up to the hype / lose out on sales on their next album it hurts both. So I don' t think there is a clear cut answer here. Does that make sense?