Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Julien Baker Believes in God

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 12, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Rachel Syme, writing for The New Yorker, with a really great piece on Julien Baker:

There is equal humility and precocity to these statements, a duality that kept popping up in my conversation with Baker. She called me “ma’am” with a soft drawl, and apologized often when talking about her creative process, worrying that she was being “conceited or indulgent.” Onstage, she offers aw-shucks-ish disclaimers before launching into particularly gloomy refrains, saying, “I’m sorry for bumming everyone out.” At shows, she sometimes wears a T-shirt that says “Sad Songs Make Me Feel Better.” And yet, despite any outward embarrassment, Baker’s lyrics are bold and unapologetic—about having big, bloody emotions, about the kind of epic feels that come in tsunamis and do not abate. Though Baker sings about God, she is not explicitly a Christian artist; instead, whether or not a supreme being exists is just one of many questions she has about the way the world works, and about the mechanisms available to us to process pain.

The post Julien Baker Believes in God appeared first on chorus.fm.

2. Way cool that she got a write up in The New Yorker. Emo revival 2.0?

I kid, I kid.

3. jellyfishfossil

Regular

"I think there's a God and He hears either way."

It's safe to assume that she believes in God from her lyrics.

Kizwiz and coleslawed like this.
  4. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

there are so many articles coming out focusing on her it's incredible. she deserves it.

5. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

It sort of sucks that bands/artists who write songs about their religion even if it's only a few almost have to emphasize they aren't a Christian band because of some sort of fear of not being taken seriously.

6. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I had somehow missed this person's music up until now, and holy shit is she good. I can't believe I hadn't heard of her until today.

7. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Go see her live.

sean_rugy likes this.
  8. scotchkoreanguy

Avoids eye contact, great conversationalist

One of the best articles I've ever read about one of my favorite artists. This piece is so well written. But I guess that's the sort of writing Julien Baker warrants. I want so badly to see her live.

9. junkmanserenade

Where are your friends tonight?

Every other piece I've read about her is just as well written. I can't wait to hear what's next from her.

10. kidinthebushes

Trusted

This is refreshing. I'll have to check her out.

11. Christian Romero May 12, 2016
    (Last edited: May 12, 2016)
    This was a really great read. I get chills any time I see her live or even hear about it. She's such an amazing artist and she deserves all of this attention. I think I like her more and more every time I read about her

12. MrRobot

Twitter/IG: @scott325

My friend and I got to talk with her about religion and stuff from all different perspectives after her show here last month and it's honestly one of the best conversations I've had all year. She's so intelligent and incredibly well spoken. She's an amazing artist, but however good you think her music is, she's ten times as good a person and you should definitely chat with her after a show if you ever get a chance.