Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Don’t Knock CGI: It’s Everywhere, You Just Don’t Notice It

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 6, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Andrew Whitehurst, writing for The Guardian:

The anti-CGI backlash, which is really a reaction against poorly conceived CGI, rather than the form itself, stems from such overuse and misapplication. No one complains about the mountain of well-planned and well-executed CGI, because no one’s attention was drawn to the fact that it was CGI in the first place. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the studios’ publicists are now frequently keen to emphasise how much of a film was shot “for real”, and play down the use of CGI on a production. A cursory glance through the credits of the film will tell you how true those claims are.

The post Don’t Knock CGI: It’s Everywhere, You Just Don’t Notice It appeared first on chorus.fm.

2. Raku

Regular

I don't know... There's something about practical effects that CGi just loses in translation.

*insert clip of Chestburster scene (Can't find a short clip on youtube)

Plus (I know it's expensive) but sometimes creatures look better in person than cgi

3. anOG

I mean, on the one hand, sure, people don't really take notice of the "good" CGI in most films... But come on... You can't tell me that you're just as involved and excited watching Henry Cavill turn into a video game character as you are watching Matt Damon fight to the death in someone's kitchen. Personally, I think it's an awful substitute for more practical ideas. The half-animatronic dinosaurs from 1993 look more realistic than the purely CGI dinosaurs from 2015. Doesn't that tell you something?

Raku likes this.
  4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

5. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

It really just depends on the filmmakers, the team they've selected, and where they choose to use the effects. In the hands of Alfonso Cuaron, George Miller, and David Fincher, you get CGI that is not only seamless but also serves the story. In the hands of just about everyone pumping out summer blockbusters, you get cave troll Doomsday.

Raku likes this.
  6. @Nathan

Great companion video. Gets to the core of the argument, not the straw man.

Nathan likes this.
  7. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Saw this video a while back. Very cool.

8. Davjs

Trusted

The haven't nailed down Cgi people yet, but Zodds armor, the cape, backgrounds, the destruction of metropolis and the krypton opening are all Cgi and look stunning.