Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lydia – “VHS”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

I found this band maybe a month ago and they're wonderful. I'm vibin' the single.

3. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Sounds like it could fit right on Devil. Love it.

4. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

If you just started listening I would highly suggest you check out their record from 2008 called Illuminate. I’m assuming you probably have, but if you haven’t it - then you are in for a real treat.

Bartek T. and anonimito like this.
  5. dtbjerke

Regular Supporter

What are the odds... I've been picking bands at random and listening to their discographies and just went through Lydia on Wednesday/Thursday (very solid). Will always welcome new music from them.

Plus, I always get a chuckle at the Tejano musician Lydia Castillo's single "Algo Nuevo" showing up under Lydia in Apple Music.

6. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

This December is also an absolute classic.

7. failinginplace

Regular

like FRANK! said, "Illumninate" is great, as is their debut "This December It's One More And I'm Free" which is hauntingly beautiful and fantastic all.the.way.through

8. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

I love these two albums so much. Someone please recommend me more music like This December other than Carisa's Wierd and Jeniferever

Bartek T. and Leftandleaving like this.
  9. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

F
    From Indian Lakes? They have some awesome albums that remind me of that type of Lydia.

Bartek T. and daldalian like this.
  10. spenser

Anyone else notice that This December... fell off Spotify some time ago? Is it up on any of the other streaming services?

11. TuffG15

It’s not on Apple Music or YouTube Music

12. RaginCajun

Better than you, sorry

I haven't found a single song outside of illuminate that ive really liked...

Steven likes this.
  13. zachmacD

Trusted

This kind of reminds me of paint it golden which, besides illuminate, is my favorite record of theirs. I just hope he posts the lyrics bc I have no idea what he’s saying

14. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Listen to Illuminate. That record is their magnum opus.

parkerxcore, anonimito and zachmacD like this.
  15. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

man those two rock. try deas veil and alive in wild paint

Bartek T. and anonimito like this.
  16. zachmacD

Trusted

If you haven’t, check out the b-sides from Devil. “Wish you well” and “do you remember” are, IMO, two of their best songs and better than some of the songs on the actual album.

parkerxcore and anonimito like this.
  17. Ska Senanake

Trusted

I second Deas Veil. Birds and Cages is unbelieveable. Would also recommend As Tall As Lions.

18. Steven

Man what happened to Lydia? First two albums were so good...

19. failinginplace

Regular

i heard at one point (take this with a grain of salt) that Leighton got sober and the guitar player who wrote a lot of the darker/moodier stuff left. I'm sure someone can correct me/elaborate more on this though.

20. jorbjorb

7 rings

I like it!

anonimito likes this.
  21. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Bartek T., Orla and anonimito like this.
  22. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've actually listened to all of the above selections before (LOVE From Indian Lakes, their middle albums especially) and I hope that Terminal is coming back to pick up where Alive in Wild Paint left off. I really liked Deas Vail about a decade ago and what I've heard of Owel.

Also kinda surprised no one has mentioned Gates, especially their latest record. I highly recommend it for fans of Lydia, especially since guitarist Ethan Koozer played in Lydia for a time as well.

23. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Lots of great bands mentioned! ;d and I just came here to metnion gates hah! ;D after the comment about the guitarist leaving. You are spot on! ;D much love for those guys!

Same with mentioning States ;D Mindy White of Lydia and the rest of Copeland, their first EP is a bit mellow in a nice way, but all in all I think they're worth trying out even if they changed the vibe later on.

I'm sure adding Copeland to the list would be quite obvious? However, check out "Loom" by Pompeii, "I Was Searching And I Found" by Weaver At The Loom, and maybe "Volcano Crowe" by HalfNoise (it actually is Zac Farro, the drummer from Paramore, but yeah, it is that type of music, trust me ;D). It all might be slightly more pop oriented, but I used to listen to so much music of that kinds back in the day, I'm just driven by the "feeling" with the comparison. If the feeling is right and you guys also have mentioned As Tall As Lions or Deas Veil, I could suggest to also try "The Bell and Hammer" by This Day & Age and "About-Face" by The Working Title, awesome albums!

Also, I love Jeniferever and have some of the fondest concert memories with seeing them live. Same goes for another Swedish post rock band called Ef - highly recommended.

Out of something new with quite similar vibe you people might want to check out "Dancing From A Distance" by Jenny Dee (produced by Aaron Marsh of Copeland). But it's also much happier than "December" etc.

Leftandleaving and anonimito like this.
  24. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Hahh I got so excited just getting my memory through those amazing albums, some 2004-2006 gems over there! Also, I'd almost forget, two bands that sound like Lydia a lot too, especially the first one:

- The Narrative - Just Say Yes EP (Suzie Zeldin also played with Chris Carrabba in Twin Forks, but that was folk, whereas The Narrative with that EP and their self-titled, you should just check it out! ;D)

- Paper Rival - Dialog or their EP as well

anonimito likes this.
  25. anonimito

Abelian Supporter

You have excellent taste!

B-)

Bartek T. likes this.