Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dashboard Confessional Reflects On “Screaming Infidelities”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Chris Carrabba talked with Stereogum about the 20-year anniversary of “Screaming Infidelities.”

But 20 years ago, when he was in the thick of it, Carrabba fretted over losing the songs on Swiss Army, two in particular: the addictively self-conscious “Again I Go Unnoticed” and album opener “Screaming Infidelities.” It felt like if those songs disappeared, “the identity of the band would be gone,” he explained. And so he cut two tracks from his already-written second album and went about re-recording those Swiss Army highlights with help from Florida friends Mike Marsh and Dan Bonebrake. “I didn’t overthink it,” Carrabba said. “The lesson that taught me was that there can always be more than one version — and maybe there should be.” (There are two iterations of love-struck fan favorite “Hands Down” too.)

2. lava890

Regular Supporter

He looks like a different person with that beard.

3. Irra

Just saw them with Piebald. Maybe it’s the Denver crowd but the energy was odd. A lot toxic masculinity for such a chill band.

4. thechetearly

Regular

I just want them to hang it up. Plz.

palebluedot, Brent and Irra like this.
  5. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

A top 3, if not worst band I've ever seen live in person that I loved prior to seeing live. Dude just was flat out garbage and such a letdown. People all around us were in awe of the craptacular set he was putting on and, like us, left early in extreme disappointment.

Irra likes this.
  6. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I saw them two years ago and was blown away at how strong Chris's singing was

Jared Luttrell and zachmacD like this.
  7. Eml182

Regular

Alter The Ending is criminally underrated and prob their best work ever. Just hit too late in their career

zachmacD likes this.
  8. zachmacD

Trusted

Agreed. I think it would’ve done better if it came out right after dusk and summer instead of shade...

9. zachmacD

Trusted

I saw them on Taste of Chaos in 2016, I think, and they were really good. No real interest to see them again though.

10. Jared Luttrell

Regular

They were great last I saw them in Baltimore. Weird.

11. mrenkens007

Surprise, Surprise Prestigious

I think he's caught in between trying to be the "new" Dashboard Confessional while also embracing the platform he's built with these songs. The re-dos of the earlier 3 records felt like a major turning point for him, coupled with his... reserved (?) approach to his songs. After Crooked Shadows which I can honestly say I've heard once, it felt like he became a different persona in a live show and an interviewing setting. I don't know, I kind of love it. Not saying I don't miss his flourishes and long-held notes from The Places..., but I think he's growing up and taking his tunes with him.

12. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

See I really enjoyed the new album and personally feel that he gets lost living in the past with Dashboard. The nostalgia tours bands do now are great but I feel he's been overkill with it.

mrenkens007 likes this.
  13. J.Dick

Regular

Piebald’s American Heart: Hey! You’re part of it!

love that song!!

Irra likes this.
  14. mrenkens007

Surprise, Surprise Prestigious

That's true, too. He is definitely swimming in these past albums a lot more than embracing anything new. My idea of it all (I think) stems from his image at shows, interviews and on social media. Seems like whatever he's gearing up to do next will be less Heart Beat Here and more broken-down acoustic jams. I guess I should also take this opportunity to try out Crooked Shadows again.

parkerxcore likes this.
  15. TedSchmosby

Trusted

He’s written about as emo godfather whose glory days are a decade and a half ago but I love his new stuff. Crooked Shadows was great

AshlandATeam likes this.
  16. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I’ve never met a Dashboard release I didn’t end up loving.