Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Friends’ Reunion Special Announced for HBO Max

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Lesley Goldberg, writing at The Hollywood Reporter:

The unscripted reunion special will feature stars Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry and David Schwimmer, as well as series creators David Crane and Marta Kauffman. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the cast, who all negotiated together, will earn more than double their former per-episode fee for the reunion and be paid between $2.5 million and $3 million for the special.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  2. It baffles me to think about how a one-episode special will earn HBO the probably $20-30 million they'll need to recoup from this

3. Casadilla

No one is going to watch this. Yes, fans wanted a reunion special, but you know, an actual scripted one where they play their characters. If we wanted to watch the cast reminisce about the good ol days, we could just watch the special features.

Ska Senanake likes this.
  4. [​IMG]

5. [​IMG]

6. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I missed the "unscripted" part first time reading this news. Well that's pointless. Do they realize in the era of social media, youtube, etc. anyone can find everything any of them have ever said since it went off the air?

7. 333 GANG

ACAB

While that would be wonderful, there is zero doubt in my mind that many people will watch this.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  8. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I thought unscripted meant that they would more or less improvise. I hadn't considered it would just be them talking about Friends.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it will be disappointing either way.

9. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Right...and then there's this bit of insanity: "Sources say WarnerMedia paid $85 million per year for five years ($425 million) to reclaim streaming rights to Friends for its own platform."

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  10. Yikes. I missed that. They're putting a LOT of weight into the hopes that Friends will be a major draw to their streaming platform. But what are they charging, like, $15 a month? That's a lot to add to people who are already paying for Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+. I imagine most of the subscribers to the streaming service will be people who are dropping the other HBO services (such as cable/satellite channels), which might make the platform's "profits" a moot point, at best.

[IMG]

hongfong00 likes this.