Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Goldfinger Supergroup Performs “Superman”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 3, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

A fan-shot video of Goldfinger performing “Superman” at West Palm Beach’s Sunfest over the weekend can be found on YouTube or by hitting read more. This Goldfinger lineup features Mike Herrera (MxPx), Phil Sneed (Story of the Year), and Cyrus Bolooki (New Found Glory).

NotBruce and trevorshmevor like this.
  2. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Since we're talking about this song, here's a Mountain Goats cover of it.

File under: "Well I'll be damned, never thought I'd hear that happen."

trevorshmevor and devenstonow like this.
  3. ianzandi

Regular

One of my favorite songs ever. This supergroup cover is a bit of a letdown though

4. HueyLewis

Regular

What happened to Darren, Charlie, and Kelly? Did they have a falling out or something? Although, I'd like to see a new goldfinger album with some Mike Herrera melodies. The last few goldfinger albums have not been good.

5. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

No genre of music makes me happier quicker than mid-to-late-90s ska, so this was such a treat. If I'm not mistaken, I think Phil is a full-time part of the Goldfinger touring lineup now, which is awesome.

6. crowntownguy

I think I'm growing into someone you can trust

Randomly listened to the album this song is from on Spotify, freaking loved it so much. If I want more ska music in this vein, where should I start?

7. HueyLewis

Regular

Definitely listen to Goldfinger's first album if you like Hang-Ups. Maybe check out Less than Jake's "Losing Streak" and The Mighty Mighty Bosstone's "Let's Face It," which are kinda similar and from the same time period.

8. Eml182

Regular

I would add Less Than Jake "Hello Rockview" to this, then even Reel Big Fish "Why Do They Rock So Hard" for a few tracks on there - some filler on that last one, but some absolute gems that combine ska/rock to the nth degree.

HueyLewis likes this.
  9. HueyLewis

Regular

I was going to put RBF's "Turn the Radio Off" and "Why Do They Rock so Hard" on the list as well but they are a lot more horn driven. Although, if you like Hang Ups there is a really good chance you'll like RBF too.

10. Raku

Regular

Another good band to check out would be Mustard Plug (Box, You,Beer Song), [Spunge] (Kicking Pidgeons, Ego, Break Up), The Suicide Machines (New Girl, No Face, Break The Glass), and The Hippos ((This one might be the closest to what you're asking for, but they do mix in synthpop towards the end of the band's run. In fact none of their third album (the last one they did) would be considered ska) Far Behind, Forget The World, Irie )

On Topic: I miss Goldfinger. Even though the single they put out a few years ago was a dud, I was really looking forward to their new album (that they seemed to have stopped working on).

HueyLewis likes this.
  11. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Yeah it looks like they stopped working on it(?) after their guitar player left again