Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Overcast Launches New Audio Engine

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Marco Arment has released a version of his Overcast podcast player with “Voice Boost 2,” if you are interested in the nerdy audio side of this, he’s written up a blog post explaining it:

This is about to get nerdier, but bear with me. (Yes, nerdier than ITU broadcast-loudness standards.)

Given a loudness measurement for the incoming audio, quieter podcasts need to be amplified to reach the target. But perceived loudness isn’t the peak of the incoming audio stream — it’s more of an average. Quiet-sounding audio can still have brief moments of loud peaks.

When increasing the volume of digital audio, the biggest challenge is not “clipping” during the peaks — not having any part of the signal pass above the volume ceiling of 0 dB. (It’s a negative scale. This is also why the LUFS value above, which is closely related to the decibel scale used here, is negative.)

2. MacbethSin

Regular

This feature is IMPRESSIVE. I went through a dozen different shows and it sounds like they were all engineered and mixed by the same person

Jason Tate and surgerone like this.
  3. surgerone

Regular Supporter

love Overcast, and this explanation has me deep-diving into all sorts of subjects I never thought I would

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

Marco does it again. Love it.

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. Overcast remains one of my favorite iOS apps.

6. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

I bounce between Apple Podcasts, Overcast, and Castro.

Tried the new voice boost in Overcast. On a few shows it sounds amazing but on a few I get an air sound in the background - like a computer fan running.

Know Overcast is the preferred third party podcast app, but I still like the voice boost and trim silence in Castro better.