Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Billie Joe Armstrong’s Life in 15 Songs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Billie Joe Armstrong, talking to Rolling Stone about “Minority:”

After “Time of Your Life,” I started getting into playing more acoustic guitar, and I really wanted to have more for Warning. And there was also a lot of kind of bad pop punk that was starting to happen, and I wanted to go against that genre. This felt like the next step. I had been getting into listening to more of the Kinks and the Who, who found a lot of power in an acoustic song, and used the guitar almost like a drum. “Pinball Wizard” is so percussive. I wrote this right before the election between George Bush and Al Gore. I started feeling the political wheels starting to turn toward conservatism a little bit. I think that song is sort of about declaring that you’re stepping out of the line, you’re not part of the sheep, and trying to find your own individualism. It felt like we were diving into something that was more conceptual for sure.

I’d like to go back and rerecord that album. It was right when Pro Tools started happening. I want to go back and just do everything more live, because I think “Minority” live is a lot better than it came out on the album. But that’s just one of those things that you think about too much.

Warning is still my favorite Green Day album.

2. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I love Warning as it is, but it would definitely be cool to hear how they would record some of those songs differently today. I'd buy that, for sure.

fredwordsmith likes this.
  3. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Warning absolutely is my favorite green day album

SaveTheEarth and BradBradley like this.
  4. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Warning is my fav as well

SaveTheEarth and BradBradley like this.
  5. waterloobeam

Regular

Macy's Day Parade is probably my favorite green day track

6. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I wouldn't want them to touch "Warning." The production is fine as it is. I think it's funny that he mentions Pro Tools was right after it because it feels like the band's sound got way more of a sheen to it after that and sometimes not in a good way.

slimfenix182 and Fucking Dustin like this.
  7. AsfAstAswegofar

Regular

Dude hell yeah, Warning is the best. I love Castaway and the song that all my green day fan friends hate, Misery.

8. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Scrolling through Spotify to listen to these songs, I noticed the bootleg of Green Day Unplugged (Not really MTV Unplugged, just some acoustic live shows) is up to stream. The sound quality is absolutely terrible. I'm surprised it hasn't been taken down.

9. IAmMikeWhite

@IAmMikeWhite Supporter

"And there was also a lot of kind of bad pop punk that was starting to happen, and I wanted to go against that genre."

In 2000...he HAS to be talk about blink, right?

SaveTheEarth likes this.
  10. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I know they were kind of feuding with Blink back then (which was squashed with Pop Disaster Tour), but I think he might be talking about either the Drive-Thru bands or maybe conflating it with the rise of Good Charlotte and A Simple Plan, even thought that was years later.

bd007h likes this.
  11. IAmMikeWhite

@IAmMikeWhite Supporter

You're probably right. But still... I'm not sure it was ever squashed. Everything I've ever read about the Pop Disaster tour suggests that GD wanted to blow blink out of the water every night (and succeeded). They kinda "won" that battle, so it probably feels less adversarial than it was back then. But if he's writing "Minority" in '99 or '00, he's either talking about blink or the Offspring (and I'm SURE he's not talking about the latter.)

Who knows? It's fun to speculate.

SaveTheEarth and Zilla like this.
  12. IAmMikeWhite

@IAmMikeWhite Supporter

Also...Warning is my favorite Green Day record by a longshot...er...I mean...by a wide margin.

SaveTheEarth likes this.
  13. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Good point. Looking back, The Offspring should have been their target.

14. DooDooBird

Trusted

Misery is such a bad song. That alone disqualifies Warning from being their best album.

15. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

"Misery" rules

16. Nah it’s definitely DTR, Simple Plan, Sum 41, and Good Charlotte and the rise of the those pop punk bands.

17. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

The way songs on Warning sound when performed live is how I would have wanted it. In many ways I still want to hear them in that style. But that record is such a beautiful weird pivot and has held up better every year.

Zilla likes this.
  18. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

It’s crazy that they never tried to go back to that more acoustic-based sound. It feel weirdly intimate compared to the arena rock that followed.

19. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

This was such a cool read. And AI will always be my favorite album by them but I think Warning is probably in second for me, just fantastic all the way through

20. kelseyleigh

Trusted Supporter

I haven't listened to Warning in such a long time but I loved the record when it came out. Definitely will be re-exploring this afternoon.

Jason Tate likes this.
  21. kelseyleigh

Trusted Supporter

Defnitely holds up.

22. kiguel182

Regular

Great article with tons of cool insight.

Warning is a great record. Love Waiting.

He is definetly talking about Blink since Warning is from 2000, right after Blink blew up. It was the year ATSM peaked.

23. AsfAstAswegofar

Regular

I feel like we're going to get into that age old pop punk debate. Blink vs Green Day. lol

24. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

waiting is probably my fav Green Day song

25. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

For as much as I enjoy that entire record, it's embarrassingly pretentious to call out the pop-punk coming out during that time "bad."