Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Four Year Strong Announce New Album; Share Two New Songs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Posted this in the last thread too, but don't support this band. They actively employ/tour with JJR and Pure Noise sucks.

falafelmywaffle and TuneYouOut like this.
  3. tobytobes

Regular

These songs are decent, but I feel like not-FYS-like, somehow? Something about them seems slow or off to me.

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  4. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

Never been a FYS fan, but I really dig this song and video...

5. MacbethSin

Regular

Really playing to their strengths vocally here, but the songs themselves don't sound super fresh to my ears at least. Title track from breakdown on is more what I'm looking for.

6. cbronder1

Regular

Stoked for the new record

7. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Not bad, not bad at all.

8. theredline Jan 14, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 14, 2020)
    theredline

Trusted Supporter

Good tunes. Title track is ok. “Talking Myself In Circles” is great. Has a cool PUP vibe!
    There are preorders up but maybe we’re on our own to find them since no link is posted....

9. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

I really enjoyed this, I'm down for more.

10. jesseisabigdeal

Regular

the verses in talking myself in circles reminds me of the verses in we've got a big mess on our hands by the academy is. anyone else hear it?

sunkwiththeship likes this.
  11. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

I think it’s the chord progression for sure, that’s about it...

12. jesseisabigdeal

Regular

i was thinking more the vocal melody

13. bestofmoss

Regular

fys rules

Pepetito likes this.
  14. alexbrew

Just here for the comments

Super into it

15. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

“Talking Myself In Circles” has big GDIH energy and I’m here for it. Hoping they find that lightning in a bottle again. I think that EP is still the best thing they’ve ever done.

16. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Yeah that ep is fantastic

parkerxcore likes this.
  17. laraheart

Who is JJR? Keen to understand more about this.

18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Basically, a dude from the LI hardcore scene named Harry Corrigan was accused (and later admitted to) sexual assault. Christian of the Hotelier called out the situation and was threatened by this JJR dude, a key player in a lot of that area's pop punk scene. Tour manager, musician, friend to a bunch of bookers and other bands. He left a voicemail with Christian saying that he'd make sure that The Hotelier never plays shows in the area and that they're going to kick his ass or whatever.
    If I'm not mistaken, he also lied to a bunch of sites and said that the situation was cleared up or a misunderstanding when it wasn't.

TL;DR version is that he defended and helped out an abuser and both of them are still working regularly in the scene.

19. battlingaheavyheart

searching for a former clarity

Wow I'm glad someone else still remembers this.

falafelmywaffle and OhTheWater like this.
  20. dtbjerke

Regular Supporter

Here is a petition from FIVE years ago that explains the situation (most of which is covered above by @OhTheWater ). According to the petition, John James Ryan (aka JJR) emailed @Jason Tate and tried cover for Harry by saying Christian was just jealous of Harry's relationship with the victim, when in actuality he didn't know either of them before the allegations against Harry came to light. According to this post, Jason was told he was burning bridges by bringing the situation to light.

Unfortunately a lot of the info on this situation was on the AP.net forums.

21. Correct. He lied to me to cover up for Harry.

Also correct. Quite a few labels involved don't talk to me/work with me at all anymore.

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

JJR also worked for TWY and they wouldn’t speak out for fear of burning bridges, so they quietly let him go but half the band still hangs out with him

battlingaheavyheart likes this.
  23. DeRRek

Trusted

These two songs are class

24. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

For this? Or something else? If it was for this, I would want names.

Reading the situation with this dude makes me like their music a lot less. I haven’t thought about Brand New in years for the same reason. Good on you for being on the right side.

25. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

Finally figured it out, it’s Mayday Parade’s song If You Wanted A Song Written About You...sounds very identical in the verses and even somewhat in the chorus.

DeRRek and jesseisabigdeal like this.