Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Green Day Track Listing Released by Fan Site

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

GreenDayFans.com has shared the new track listing for Green Day’s upcoming album.

Imagine my surprise when an anonymous package, postmarked from California, arrived in my mailbox containing the album we’ve all been waiting for, Green Day’s Father Of All Motherfuckers which isn’t due out until February 7, 2020! Alas, my initial excitement was only slightly dampened when it turned out the package contained just the vinyl sleeve for Green Day’s 13th studio album and did not include any type of insert, but I certainly wasn’t complaining.
    Track Listing

1. Father Of All…
    2. Fire, Ready, Aim
    3. Oh Yeah!
    4. Meet Me On The Roof
    5. I Was A Teenage Teenager
    6. Stab You In The Heart
    7. Sugar Youth
    8. Junkies On A High
    9. Take The Money And Crawl
    10. Graffitia

2. BradBradley

Regular

“I Was A Teenage Teenager” is most likely a strong contender for the worst song title of 2020 and it’s only January 3rd! It might be cool to hear a Green Day song about the 80s though!

3. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

I think it's hilarious

AshlandATeam likes this.
  4. Eml182

Regular

perhaps a play on Against Me’s I was a teenage anarchist

5. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Another album only 10 songs long.

6. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

There's a great Moral Crux album by that name so it could be a nod to them.

7. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Reading this absolute shite track listing really does make me think they have another album ready to go and this is just a final FU to their label.

8. BradBradley

Regular

Good call out! I had never heard of them or that album. I’m guessing you’re right.

9. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

The album is 26 minutes long apparently

domotime2 likes this.
  10. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I actually think these are some of their most interesting titles in a long time, I actually love that I'm going into a Green Day album not knowing what to expect for probably the first time ever

11. pbueddi

Trusted

You would think so, but they seem to be super into performing this new stuff. I just can't get into it.

333 GANG likes this.
  12. abcdefg123

Regular

I'll never understand why this is a problem. Many albums in the past (think around the 70's and 80's) had less than 10. Ten songs is actually pretty average. At least it has more than 7, which is technically all that it takes to upgrade it from being an EP.

Craig Manning likes this.
  13. abcdefg123

Regular

That's a great length, especially for people who have short attention spans.

14. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

When it comes to music, everyone always refers to short attention spans. But, movies are often over two+ hours. With music you are free to move. With movies, you are situated in a seat looking at the same place. Also, I don’t think people want bands playing shorter sets at live shows because of short attentions spans.

The less songs on albums lately trend feels like a business decision and not an artistic decision.

I’d be more willing to wait a few years for a band to write an album that feels full and complete (and doesn’t mean long in terms of minutes). Again, I’ll refer to Bad Religion’s Age of Unreason (2019). 14 songs (34 or so minutes), plus two bsides on top of that (totalling just over 38 minutes). I will say Insomniac was 14 songs and only around 32-34 minutes or so, plus a bside on top of that.

Just my preference though. Bands and labels will do what they want. Seeing Green Day’s last album was also longer (and they’ve put out lots of albums with more songs and long records) I buy the mailing it in claims a bit more hear (even though the idea of mailing it it sounds crazy).

JRGComedy likes this.
  15. abcdefg123

Regular

Oh, yeah, it's often a business decision. I mean, other than the pennies on the dollar that you can make from streaming, an artist will make the same per units sold of an album whether it's 7 songs or 17 songs. It doesn't take a great amount of brilliance to figure out that things like deluxe reissues and b sides exist largely for purposes of revenue. Basically anything over 7 songs on an album is a bonus, with certain obvious exceptions.

Shorter albums isn't a new trend. Ten songs has been an average for decades and many albums back in the day only had like 8 songs.

Yeah, I get the personal preference thing and I don't disagree. I love longer albums too. Well, the ones that aren't cluttered with filler. However, I get that nobody is obligated to release a 12+ song album. I'll take a solid 10 songs over an album with 8 good songs and 4 mediocre songs.

Sorry if this seems incoherent. i didn't get much sleep last night.

.K. likes this.
  16. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I guess this is just becoming more noticeable with bands that’d have releases with 2 more songs and 8 more minutes of music on an album.

Growing up in the 90’s, when the music medium changed to CD, bands had so much more room than ever. That’s where filler became more apparent. So many albums had secret tracks, or novelty tracks. Pearl Jam’s song Bugs comes to mind off Vitalogy.

I think eras mediums changed a lot. I think radio requirements changed a lot. I get streaming services are a current game changer. But there are lots of bands I love currently doing 10 year anniversary tours on albums that were huge for their career. They are still profiting off those releases 10 years later. I can’t imagine Green Day a Father Of All...10 Year Anniversary Tour for a 26 minute album. That’s an encore for some acts.

There’s obviously no set in stone rule for good reason. I do find myself noticing the album has fewer tracks when listening to albums from bands like Thrice’ Palms or Jimmy Eat World’s Surviving. Also, in both situations, both bands have 4+ songs left off, so they each could have been 11–12 songs (if the songs flowed, and they would have for Thrice).

JRGComedy likes this.
  17. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I have absolutely NO hopes for this, considering how awful the singles are.

DooDooBird and 333 GANG like this.
  18. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Do not get the hate for Father of All (the song) at all, I really like it, especially the chorus

Fire Ready Aim isn't great though

19. I can’t wait for this album, honestly. I haven’t looked forward to a new GD album in a loooong time.

20. btr

Trusted Supporter

So is the album title/song actually called “Father of All Motherfuckers” and is just censored to “Father of All...”?

21. AsfAstAswegofar

Regular

Haven't heard a good green day record since American Idiot IMO

22. 333 GANG

ACAB

This record is going to suck so bad.