Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Trump Impeached for Abuse of Power and Obstruction of Congress

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The New York Times:

The House of Representatives on Wednesday impeached President Trump for abuse of power and obstruction of Congress, making him the third president in history to be charged with committing high crimes and misdemeanors and face removal by the Senate.

While it’s improbable that he will be removed from office as long as the Senate is headed by a craven lunatic, this is still a historical moment.

Jared Luttrell and RyanPm40 like this.
  2. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

“I’m only the third president to be impeached. Let me repeat that: the third. Tremendous. It’s a tremendous honor. I can’t say I’ve ever seen an impeachment quite as impressive as mine. It’s the best impeachment America has ever had. Truly great. You’ll never see one as amazing. Believe me.”

3. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Here’s hoping the Senate doesn’t fuck this up.

4. they will

5. alexbrew

Just here for the comments

This is super awesome, but can someone help me understand what this first-step of impeachment actually accomplishes, if anything? Just trying to understand the process.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  6. Ska Senanake

Trusted

There is no way they won't lol. At the very least, this makes the Republican party look BAD and will hopefully persuade a lot of people who might have voted for trump in 2020 to vote democrat. Anything to alter the public opinion and bring light to the absolute lunacy and incompetence of this administration is a win.

7. soggytime

Trusted

Let's say the senate comes through - can we take Pence with him? A Pence presidency sounds scary

8. Landrick Robert

Stay Gold

Nothing is going to change

9. upload_2019-12-19_11-1-32.png

Jared Luttrell, 333 GANG, Ken and 8 others like this.
  10. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Even if the Senate doesn’t vote for him to be removed, the fact that history will forever show that he was impeached is satisfying.

11. I'm going to love talking about this at Christmas gatherings with a mostly right-wing family :sly:

12. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I’ve had to unfollow one of my aunts. Her Facebook looks like Trump’s twitter page.

13. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

This isn't the first step of impeachment. The first step was the announcement of the Impeachment Inquiry, in conjunction with the investigations that were already ongoing. Once the inquiry for the "potential charges" was completed, then the articles of impeachment were drawn up, which states and describes the charges levied against the president once the investigations were conducted to provide evidence and testimony that verifies the charges. In this case, the charges were specifically "Abuse of Power" (for soliciting interference from Ukraine to announce an investigation into the Bidens) and "Obstruction of Congress" (for defying Congressional Subpoenas, as well as telling first-hand witnesses such as Mulvaney, Pompeo, etc. to defy them). The articles were drawn up and approved by the Judiciary Committed by a majority vote, then moved to a full House of Representative vote. The full house voted and approved each article separately last night.

As it stands now, the approved articles will be sent to the senate, where a trial will be held to determine whether the president is guilty of the charges or not, in which the senators act as the jurors. Now, as Mitch McConnell, the majority Senate leader, who would be dictating the final "rules" of the trial, has already stated that he will not act as an impartial juror, and is directly collaborating with the White House on what the rules of the trial will be, and going as far to state there will be no witnesses. There is currently a potential for the House of Representatives to withhold the Articles of Impeachment from the Senate until the rules of the trial are on record based on an agreement with the majority and minority parties. This recommendation came from lawyers and legal scholars.

I hope this gives you a better understanding on where the country is at in terms of the impeachment process! I have some additional reading if you want to understand the rules of the Senate trial, and why there's not a lot of clarity on how the trial will proceed:
    Imagining a Senate Trial: Reading the Senate Rules of Impeachment Litigation

supernovagirl likes this.
  14. soundclash

Regular

Important to note (or maybe not): *if* Trump wins a second term and continues to break the law, he can be impeached again. And, if Dems keep their House majority and also take one in the Senate, the Senate trial is a lot less of a question mark.

supernovagirl and tyramail like this.
  15. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

The blue wave vote really helped. There were some democratic representatives (after a period of republican) that ended up voting to impeach. That shows how voting matters.

16. soundclash

Regular

Yep - I have this conversation with everyone that says they’re disillusioned with voting. At least vote in local and Senate/House elections even if you don’t want to vote for the President.

17. MacbethSin

Regular

It ain't going to the Senate as things stand today, the progress would be undone the moment it does

18. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Pelosi playing hardball until there's a fair, or somewhat fair, trial is what I wanted to hear after the house vote. Good on her. Those republican senate seats are so fucked up. Fuck'em all. They are pure evil. Especially how they have zero shame in how they're collaborating on handling this situation while admitting it to media.

Oh...and Tulsi? WTF what was that?

19. soundclash

Regular

Tulsi and Jeff Van Drew deserve to walk off into the sunset together. I’m so embarrassed JVD is my Congressman.

20. tssf92

Good thing it won’t make it past the senate.

stuartave likes this.
  21. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Good for who?

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  22. tssf92

The country. And please don’t flip out because we have opposing views on politics.

stuartave likes this.
  23. soundclash

Regular

Yikes.

24. tssf92

stuartave likes this.
  25. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

upload_2019-12-19_15-43-42.png