Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Yellowcard Lawyer Releases Statement Regarding Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Richard Busch, of King & Ballow, the law firm representing Yellowcard in the previously written about copyright lawsuit, has issued the following statement:

First of all, we were as shocked and saddened by Juice WRLD’s death as everyone else. It is a tragic loss to his family, his fans, and to the music world at large, and we understand why people may be confused about the decision to continue with this lawsuit. My clients are certainly torn about proceeding, and understand the optics involved. But it is important to remember that this lawsuit was filed before this tragic event, and was filed because all of the defendants (and there are 2 other writers and several music publishers and record labels), profited off of what we believe was clear copying and infringement of Yellowcard’s work. We have an expert report making that clear. So while they are absolutely aware of how this may be perceived, and truly have incredible mixed emotions, the question is whether it is fair that all of those many parties profited, and will continue to profit, off of what my client’s believe strongly was their work. We should also mention that it has been falsely reported that Yellowcard is demanding a specific amount of damages. They are simply seeking what the law allows, and what parties in their position have sought in similar cases, which at this point is not determined.

2. tobytobes

Regular

"We know how this looks and only care to a point. Furthermore, we're not greedy and going for MILLIONS, we're going for what the law allows, which is millions. Thanks"

But honestly, it's probably a tough situation to be put in.

MacbethSin likes this.
  3. Woohoo!

Regular

Glad to see the Lights and Sounds era guys working together again s/

TDenverFan, CMilliken and tyler2tall like this.
  4. CAC3

Dog

I love Yellowcard, but this is bullshit. Someone should go through their records with a fine toothed comb to find a song that has some similarities to something previously written. This is music, people are going to stumble across similar song structure, most likely unintentionally. Had Lucid Dreams been a clear copy of the song, that would be one thing, but it is not. Terrible lawsuit, I hate that they are doing this.

Delysid and jlinitz like this.
  5. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

gross

6. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I dislike Ryan Key more and more these days.

supernovagirl likes this.
  7. Jason Sims

Newbie Supporter

Money grab if I have ever seen one.

8. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Seems reasonable to me.

9. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

In order to win the lawsuit, Yellowcard can't just argue that the two songs are similar -- they have to prove that the similarity is because Juice WRLD specifically copied their song. In order to do that, they have to show he had reasonable access to the song, either through direct or circumstantial evidence, and may try to rely on the inverse ratio rule (which holds that the more similarity you can show between the songs, the less direct evidence of access you need, since you can infer high amounts of similarity are less likely to be coincidental). Juice WRLD's defense presumably would have been that he'd never heard the Yellowcard song, or if he had, he wasn't thinking about it when he wrote Lucid Dreams. Now his estate will have to make the argument for him if they choose not to settle, which is tricky, since he's no longer around to confirm or deny anything, so there are now big evidentiary issues in this case.

10. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I am just picturing lawyers digging through a dead man's computer to try to prove he listened to Yellowcard and that's super depressing.

11. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

He is not the only one being sued.

12. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

13. Conor Oberst

This is so dumb and shitty.

14. simonthebutler

Regular

Travis McCoy not happy with this

PandaBear! and summertimejesus like this.
  15. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

They’re getting absolutely shredded out there

16. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Oh well good think travie McCoy spoke up, we were all wondering his take on it all

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  17. Conor Oberst

So we're allowed to comment our opinions, but he needs to be called out for issuing his?

Woohoo! likes this.
  18. supernovagirl

Yeah sharing your opinion on a message board full of other no names is definitely the same thing as writing a whole rant about it, and tagging them, for your 200k followers :eyeroll:

And honestly no I don’t expect literally anyone to give a shit about my opinion on this lawsuit. But he clearly does.

19. supernovagirl

Like this was his follow up post lmao

but yeah I guess his opinion deserves to be taken seriously

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  20. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

:crylaugh::crylaugh:

supernovagirl likes this.
  21. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

he's right tho

this whole thing is some really low shit

22. supernovagirl

I genuinely don’t know how it works but since it’s a copyright if they just “backed off” wouldn't their copyright be at risk? Isn’t that the whole thing of why they’re pursuing it in the first place?

23. spreadthehummus2321

wanna go for a ryyyde

some day i want to be able to own my own basic chord progression

24. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

It continues

D27D89F8-BAA0-458D-ADCA-3419F1E9A2CD.png

25. supernovagirl

god that’s so embarrassing.

For that person I mean. What a terrible human but also idiot