Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Yellowcard Lawyer Files Motion to Extend Lawsuit Response Time

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

XXL is reporting that the lawsuit from members of Yellowcard against Juice WRLD appears to still be going forward:

Today, the pop-punk band filed a motion to extend the amount of time parties for Juice Wrld and his co-defendants Taz Taylor, Nick Mira, and the two labels Juice’s is signed to—Grade A Productions and Interscope Records—have to respond to the complaint filed against them. The original due date for the defendants’ response to the lawsuit was Dec. 9, but now they have until Feb. 4, 2020.

2. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

This still seems so shitty.

3. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

Maaan. Brutal.

4. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

There are definitely similarities:

However, I don't think it's $15 million worth of similarities. Then again, I felt the same way in the Robin Thicke/Pharrell lawsuit, and a jury found in favor of Marvin Gaye’s family to the tune of $5 million.

5. abcdefg123

Regular

Yeah, there are some similarities but I honestly think it was coincidental. Also, how much can they REALLY get in the first place? Sting already owns 85% of royalties to that song.

6. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah was just gonna say, Lucid Dreams samples this Sting song.

abcdefg123 likes this.
  7. soundclash

Regular

Yeah, this is shitty of them.

8. razorburn

Trusted

:sly:

9. atlas

Trusted

garbage band

10. btr

Trusted Supporter

Terrible!

11. DandonTRJ Dec 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 19, 2019)
    DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Why is this shitty of the band? If Juice WRLD committed copyright infringement, the band was owed money, and that doesn't change just because some of the wrongfully-earned money is now held by Juice WRLD's estate. Giving them two more months to sort out affairs and decide if they'd like to settle the dispute is a classy move. Also, keep in mind there are five defendants, all represented by the same firm; so it's not like the estate is having to float its own defense. I'm forever frustrated by people who don't get litigation.

12. fourstarters Dec 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 18, 2019)
    fourstarters

Team Wiggum

Given the circumstances of Juice's death, I don't blame them in the slightest. It's not like it was an accidental death.

Clarification: Just because one party dies doesn't make this any less valid of a lawsuit. If anyone can tell me why YC should drop their suit, go for it.

AllenRicketts likes this.
  13. This is gross af. What the hell?

14. abcdefg123

Regular

Yeah, this is a terrible fucking thing to say.

jorbjorb likes this.
  15. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

So be it. His death is tragic because he's a young man with a future in front of him; downing a giant handful of painkillers as federal agents are about to raid your plane is still an incredibly stupid choice. Call me an insensitive asshole, but this was an entirely preventable outcome and every. single. person. on that plane is as guilty of the same stupidity and carelessness.

16. Consider it done. You're a shitty person.

17. TDenverFan

Regular

I feel like these type of lawsuits open up a can of worms. There's so many songs and honestly a finite amount of melodies that stuff is bound to overlap, intentional or not. From what (little) I know about these things Yellowcard does have a pretty strong case.

I am kinda curious about how it was filed, I don't think the OA lineup ended on the most positive of terms, was it just their label or someone who pushed this through and got the 5 members to sign it?

Ska Senanake likes this.
  18. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

Happy holidays, Jason. :heart:

19. MacbethSin

Regular

Wow

20. Ska Senanake Dec 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 18, 2019)
    Ska Senanake

Trusted

Sting said he's a big fan of Lucid Dreams. Also, the process of clearing a sample is a lot less complex than cases where parts sound similar (which i'm sure you know, just wanted to reiterate).

I think this case has A LOT more legs than that fucking dark horse case which was utter bullshit and set a terrible precedent for this sort of thing. I bet Yellowcard gets paid, but I kind of hope they don't since I want them to reunite and we all know many reunions happen due to financial incentives.

21. Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 4.42.54 PM.png

:crylaugh:

Of course.

22. Omni

Regular

garbage ass post dude

Delysid likes this.
  23. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

Would you prefer "Oh god how could Yellowcard do this?"

It's hard for me to feel bad for Juice for throwing his life away. It's a shitty situation, but I'm not going to fault Yellowcard for the legitimate lawsuit. Sorry.

24. Omni

Regular

I'd prefer you stop posting entirely honestly

supernovagirl, btr, jorbjorb and 6 others like this.
  25. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

You can think that the lawsuit is valid and not make posts so totally devoid of empathy. It is in fact possible.